Center tapped pots?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnRoberts said:
These are generally not widely available in small quantity.

In many cases you can get away with standard linear taper pots.

Detents and center tapped pots are different animals. Center-tapped, an extra contact mid pot was historically popular for automatic loudness compensation... (bass boost at low volume settings). A more modern application for center tapped pots is back grounding boost/cut EQ pots at mid position to insure flat transfer function when set flat.

Center detents are more of a cosmetic issue to infer precision that may not exist.

I used to suggest buying similar parts from the service department of manufacturers still using them. These days with so much large scale manufacturing performed overseas service parts are an old school luxury harder for modern manufacturers to support.

Have you tried the circuit with a standard linear part?

JR

gyraf said:
Are you sure you need them? for what?

Thanks guys. I know the differences and theory behind it.
I need center tap AND center detent. It is for a "cheaper" net eq i am building and i will use it for freq boost/cut. The only thing i was not able source were the pots.

..in the net-eq, the two sides of the boost/cut pots have same-signal-opposite-polarity iirc, so you should be able to just use a non-center-tapped. Did you try?

/Jakob E.

gyraf said:
..in the net-eq, the two sides of the boost/cut pots have same-signal-opposite-polarity iirc, so you should be able to just use a non-center-tapped. Did you try?

/Jakob E.

jup, not working. https://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33256.520

Just to update this thread. PS Potentiometer service (german company) still produces potentiometers with center tap and center detent. They can modify just about anything else for you. Although they cost 8.5€ per potentiometer.

https://alphastat.de/

Latest posts

Back