Clipping Diode Shootout

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, it was not.
First sentence of the thread...

"bought some diodes for stomp boxes and possibly git amps, i don't know."

This side discussion started on a quote you made of my comment recommending the DCA75 to CJ for the sole purpose of plotting the curve trace of diodes to be able to compare their curves.
You whined about how x-y scope plots had no value. That was the derail. IMO, your plots are fine. CJs plots are fine. Everyone else posted interesting info and other data. All fine and interesting. I don't want to argue about any of it.

You whined about how x-y scope plots had no value.

Well you crossed the line here, first you were disrespectful and then you told a Lie.

I gave an advice to CJ to help him out doing a multiple graph for comparing Diodes, CJ is doing it by hand which is cool and works for sure, but I gave an advice to make it easier to do.
My post was only concerned to Curve Tracing Diodes and Plotting it so it would be easier to compare the response of all of them in a graph.
My message was not directed to you, neither I attacked you personally, my message was only directed to CJ.
You then interjected saying that your method had many advantages, but to be honest for the subject matter in my post and for what it was related to "Curve Tracing Diodes for easy comparison between them" your X/Y scope has none.
So I just said that it had no advantages for that particular goal, I never said the XY scope had no value, I actually think it is really valuable, and has for sure many advantages over the DCA75 just for other uses besides doing a graph to compare different Diodes easily.
So that was a lie.

You seem to miss that we and I were talking about "Curve Tracing Diodes and plotting them in a graph for easy comparison between them", even though I tried to explain that in several messages, you continue to miss that and you missed the Plot completely and now you were disrespectful and wrote a plain Lie.

I'm not going to follow your steps and be disrespectful to you, I have nothing personal against you.
But I will be for sure Humorous,
I can't stop laughing when I imagine you doing some serious experiments by putting a diode in the freezer and then in the oven while Monitoring all night long the Live Trace changing on the scope while telling to yourself "It's just Advantages!"
It's Hilarious and it could be a great comic sketch

So take it with humour, this is a great community where people are very helpful and polite, we can disagree sometimes or have some misunderstandings, but there's no need to disrespect others.
We are just some geeks having fun plotting diodes for a guitar pedal that we might not need.
It's all about Fun

Last edited:
I thought about this all day before posting. I'm not trying to offend you. I told no "lies." I simply disagree with some of your opinions of the utility of using commonly available bench gear to observe and measure things like diode abd transistor characteristic curves.

Well you crossed the line here, first you were disrespectful and then you told a Lie.
I'm sorry if I offended you. But when you say:

"So a scope or live trace is not useful at all for comparison, you had to post 12 photos of a curve for each diode where isn't even easy to compare them"

I think you are wrong. I have no idea how old you are, but some of us learned how to use more primitive equipment to construct data plots of various kinds when we were in school. In EE labs in the 80s we did not have digital scopes or IEE488 automation gear. We learned how to use basic gear to do the job with "recording" done by the student on graph paper with a pencil. That still works.

I gave the particulars of my setup and scope settings so that anyone who was curious about any of the curves could quickly add my data to their own. It is not difficult to collect 5-10 data points for each curve and get enough accuracy for comparative purposes from the scope pictures I posted. It is faster than manually changing a voltage and recording the current manually for each point as CJ noted.

I gave an advice to CJ to help him out doing a multiple graph for comparing Diodes, CJ is doing it by hand which is cool and works for sure, but I gave an advice to make it easier to do.
Consider that not everyone has $200 to drop on a piece of gear. Yes, the Peak tester is cool (as I've noted already). No, it isn't necessary or even practical for everyone. I've met CJ and know some of the gear he has and likes to use. Other people might be in similar positions and could do the same.

My post was only concerned to Curve Tracing Diodes and Plotting it so it would be easier to compare the response of all of them in a graph.
And so were mine with the curves I posted.

My message was not directed to you, neither I attacked you personally, my message was only directed to CJ.
It's a public forum discussion, not a series of PMs.

You then interjected saying that your method had many advantages, but to be honest for the subject matter in my post and for what it was related to "Curve Tracing Diodes for easy comparison between them" your X/Y scope has none.

There are tradeoffs for every measurement method. With a scope and signal generator you can vary the frequency, increase the voltage and current range (the DCA has lower limits than most bench gear), etc. Using a simple 1pNpos switch several devices can be quickly switched and compared visually "live."

So I just said that it had no advantages for that particular goal, I never said the XY scope had no value, I actually think it is really valuable, and has for sure many advantages over the DCA75 just for other uses besides doing a graph to compare different Diodes easily.
But, again, that is not true. While this thread is about diodes the simple curve tracing method is more generally applicable and does have advantages including temperature effects with Ge devices (transistors moreso than diodes). "Easily" isn't "better" if it requires investment that a person cannot justify.

So that was a lie.
What? Equipment that is already sitting on the bench already has an advantage over something that isn't.

You seem to miss that we and I were talking about "Curve Tracing Diodes and plotting them in a graph for easy comparison between them", even though I tried to explain that in several messages, you continue to miss that and you missed the Plot completely and now you were disrespectful and wrote a plain Lie.
I understand what you said the first time. My 30 years as an engineer and electronics hobbyist cause me to disagree with your assessment.

I'm not going to follow your steps and be disrespectful to you, I have nothing personal against you.
And I feel the same. I'm glad to see multiple people sharing data and measurement methods. None of it is bad or useless, in my opinion.

But I will be for sure Humorous,
I can't stop laughing when I imagine you doing some serious experiments by putting a diode in the freezer and then in the oven while Monitoring all night long the Live Trace changing on the scope while telling to yourself "It's just Advantages!"
It's Hilarious and it could be a great comic sketch
I guess I don't find curiosity and a willingness to try things, no matter what other people think about it, in order to learn and explore topics of interest "humorous." Maybe because that's what engineers are trained to do.

So take it with humour, this is a great community where people are very helpful and polite, we can disagree sometimes or have some misunderstandings, but there's no need to disrespect others.
It is. And I meant no offense. I hope you can discontinue the judgemental statements about what methods and technologies are "best."

We are just some geeks having fun plotting diodes for a guitar pedal that we might not need.
And learning about alternative methodologies and uses for existing gear, right?

It's all about Fun
So let's stop mocking people for doing things the old fashioned way. Some of us have more time than money and others enjoy more "manual" methods. Agreed?

Last edited:
Thanks for the non confrontational reply AP. It’s easy to get feelings hurt and it’s definitely better to acknowledge the problem with forum discussion and then move along to more important things in our lives.

Whoops I hope you can let it go also. I enjoy both of you guys input on electronics so kind of just miscommunication.

I have some old test equipment and am not planning on buying new stuff unless I have to. I mostly repair my old equipment to keep it going. So any info on testing with gear I already have is greatly appreciated . Still I would love to have a DCApro but first priority is paying the gas and electric these days. We can all agree what a worm hole guitar pedals and amps are.

These days I would like to just play better and wouldn’t mind jamming with people a little more. I admire people that do these things for a living (music, electronics). and there skill set. I know your a pro Whoops and AP your electronics knowledge is deep. Let’s play more and argue less. Thanks to both you guys

The 1n34 has a gentler slope. Is that good or bad in listening test CJ? So gradual clipping compared to the others? I bought a dirty rat pedal years ago which is a rat with germs or maybe shottkey diodes. The primal rat pedal was unavaliable at the store. I wound up putting 1n4007s in the pedal which did not not clip the signal so early and I liked it better. This made it a traditional rat. So just wondering what the different diodes sound like in your estimate.

Last edited:
We have an old 86 rat pedal for sale at the store for 600, small box. I opened it up to see what the big deal was with that price and it turned out to have 1n4148 diodes. It still sounds pretty smooth , and will not be as temp sensitive as a Ge pair of diodes . I have still yet to get a 1n34 with the
0.3 fwd drop like they use to sell at radio shack,

Full props to Fazer for sending some cool 1n34 diodes for testing!
these came in better than the Stomp Box parts version, so we are going to slap them ion the Klon to see what goes down,

also new on the graph are the 1N82 and MDC House # from Small Bear. (far left)

Thanks again Fazer!!!

1n34 Fazer.jpg
1n34.jpg

Those might be the same as the ones that worked very well in the Klon circuit for me (virtually indistinguishable from my original silver Klon)

i just installed them in the Klon and they sound great! They took the place of the Mazda red diodes.

P-P voltage across the diodes at 100 mv 500 Hz sine input is

50% Gain - 0.45 v p-p
75% Gain - 0.9 v p-p
100% Gain 1.0 v p-p

output wave distortion is very subtle at the low gain settings,
here are some scope shots>

k50.jpg
k100.jpg

should read 50%>
ko50.jpg
ko75.jpg
ko100.jpg

I decided to do a graph of different diodes (and an AC128 used as a diode) solo and in series. Seems like there's a change in the curve as well as the Vf. I've got a project coming up soon where I'll have the opportunity to play with different combinations. double diodes.png significant.

OT: got a real Zen Drive in , numbered and autographed,

diodes are covered in goop otherwise i was hoping to run some tests,

it sounds pretty good but not too much unlike a diy version,

certainly not $1000 better, so don't get hung up on the hype,

that is all...

Attachments

• z1.jpg
    z1.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 0
  • z2.jpg
    z2.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 1