Cohen Preamp Servos

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dylan W

I was comparing a few versions of the Seventh Circle Audio C84 (based on the Cohen topology) and noticed a difference between the DC servos.

Just to start with the first stage:

In the attached schematic (v1.6), a single inverting first-stage servo takes input from R27/28 and spits out the correction in front of the matched input transistors, through R5/6.

In the schematic linked here (v2.0), the first stage has two servos: an inverting servo that takes input through R29/30 but feeds a second pair of matched transistors, and a second, differential servo that only feeds the "-" input terminal through a 100K resistor, while the "+" input terminal goes to ground through another 100K resistor.

What's the difference? What are the different servos doing?

(Am I correct in guessing that, in v1.6, the single servo correcting for common mode DC, while in v2.0, the differential servo is handling common mode DC and the inverting servo/transistor array is correcting DC across the gain switch?)

Attachments

• c84_sch.pdf
    199.6 KB · Views: 18
Dylan W said:
I was comparing a few versions of the Seventh Circle Audio C84 (based on the Cohen topology) and noticed a difference between the DC servos.

Just to start with the first stage:

In the attached schematic (v1.6), a single inverting first-stage servo takes input from R27/28 and spits out the correction in front of the matched input transistors, through R5/6.

In the schematic linked here (v2.0), the first stage has two servos: an inverting servo that takes input through R29/30 but feeds a second pair of matched transistors, and a second, differential servo that only feeds the "-" input terminal through a 100K resistor, while the "+" input terminal goes to ground through another 100K resistor.

What's the difference? What are the different servos doing?
in the link schemo ]

U3b is sevro'ing the common mode (A+B)  DC output voltage to 0V dc
U3a servo's the net differential voltage (A-B) to be 0Vdc.

FWIW they could accomplish the same thing by servo'ing each output separately to be 0vdc
(Am I correct in guessing that, in v1.6, the single servo correcting for common mode DC, while in v2.0, the differential servo is handling common mode DC and the inverting servo/transistor array is correcting DC across the gain switch?)
Sorry I don't see an attached schemo.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
in the link schemo ]

U3b is sevro'ing the common mode (A+B)  DC output voltage to 0V dc
U3a servo's the net differential voltage (A-B) to be 0Vdc.

FWIW they could accomplish the same thing by servo'ing each output separately to be 0vdc

Ok, I think that makes sense. In the v1.6 scheme (below), why does U2a inject through R5/6?

In the v2.0 scheme, why does each side go through paralleled transistors to the emitter of the input transistor?

Sorry I don't see an attached schemo.

JR

Should be attached at the bottom of my first post. Here's a dropbox link.

Also, in v1.6, there's another servo around the balanced floating output stage and the Jung buffers, with some kind of cross coupled feedback (?) through R46/57.

V2.0 has that cross-coupled thing again through R49/61, but it's AC coupled.

Back