Cycling/Bikes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SSLtech said:
Yes, helmet-mounted mirrors are like dentist mirrors that place restrictions on head angle... the visible "cone" is pretty tiny...

I've used a handlebar-end-plug mounter mirror before now, and they're definitely easier... though much lower in terms of sightline. -If you can tolerate the high position of a bar mounted mirror, they're generally far more satisfactory.

this one is shown facing up, but I rotated it down to hang down below the bars... The only downside is that I can see my beer belly in the mirror but that is probably positive reinforcement.  ;D
My son has run two full-length triathlons in training for this weekend's race. -The last one he crossed the finish line and threw up while still on the timing mat. -Lay there for about thirty seconds while holding me in his stare and convulsing. -ABSOLUTELY heartbreaking, and I'm in no hurry to repeat that experience. EVER. -I told him that if it happens again, I don't want him to continue. He HAS to be able to race without hurting himself, or I don't want him to do it.
I have been in big races where people died, and remember one on the 4th of july where some guy left the finish line in an ambulance. Racing is about preparation not mental effort... Be careful about consuming stuff like joint cartilage before you stop needing it. While I never expected to live this long,  now I plan to limp to my death bed not crawl. 
So he's run two full-length triathlons in training midweek, and wasn't ill. -last two years he's finished in third place in this race, so we have a consistent benchmark to see if this is helping... I certainly hope so.
He needs to learn to listen to his own body... these races are not even for serious prize money (I assume)... Just have fun.
Anyhow, it's not about speed, so don't worry about 'pushing' down hills... find hills to push UP and take the coasts downhill as a recovery opportunity if you can plan routes to match this approach. -If not, just back off and ride at whatever speed is comfortable or secure for you. A bike computer to monitor actual speed in real time can actually be very reassuring.
Yup pretty much what I am doing... The thing I liked about jogging is that I had a 5 mile loop and I could mentally zone out, and think about other stuff (like software design)... A 5 mile roll is not the same as 5 miles run, so maybe I need to do a few laps or find a longer loop. On the up-hills I am just now starting to feel an effort level similar to jogging, I guess I need more hills.  ;D
Heading to Europe next week... be back in about a month. -Taking the little fella to see his first Tour de France in person... also renting some bikes in the Italian Dolomites, and getting some hill climbing punishment!
Sounds like fun... I worry that professional athletes are under too much pressure to cheat mother nature. Armstrong was a hero but turned himself into a zero by cheating mother nature.

Enjoy some Grappa for me...  8)

JR

Attachments

• mirror.jpeg
    mirror.jpeg
    2.5 KB · Views: 68
I am pleased to report that several months later I am still riding.

Since my last post the larger rear view meter definitely improves my visibility of traffic coming from behind. I ride on narrow back roads so there is not enough room for me and 2 cars at the same time, so as long as I only have to share with one other vehicle at a time I can use the other side of the road.

Another adjustment, I noticed that my old tire pump was incapable of properly pressuring my tires above some 30#, so I invested in a real pump. The tire sidewalls say 40-65#. I now enjoy 50# front and back.  I notice a definite improvement in reduced rolling resistance while the rougher sections of pavement now transmit more shock.

I noticed a slow leak in one tire so bought a new tube and a patch kit (and some plastic tire levers). I tried the patch route first and it is holding fine for over a week now. The leak was so slow that when I held the inflated tube under water there was a tiny bubble about once per second. I couldn't see the hole even knowing where it was. I put the patch where the air was bubbling out. If I develop another leak from no apparent cause I will just swap out the tube.

My next door neighbor who was a bike boy, gave me a hand down old helmet, that is newer better than my former cheap styrofoam helmet that was a hand me down from another bike boy. So I am slowly moving up in world and slightly more aerodynamic.

I'm still not going to shave my legs.  ;D

JR

PS my legs are definitely getting stronger for climbing hills.

1970's Holdsworth that I used to be my racing bike when I was at school.  When I got it up and running again 3 years ago it was like slipping on an old pair of shoes.  What a comfy frame.
321536_10150561390565410_619730409_11488488_1665831038_n.jpg

A Mandez that I had made for me in 1980 by a guy in my cycling club.
Mandez.jpg

My current winter training bike a Dolan, quite a responsive Aluminium frame.
1460110_10152353999020410_498860451_n.jpg

Me and my Neil Pryde race bike doing a Sportive in the Pyrenees, one of my favourite places to ride.  Note my race number 451 !
img022.jpg

During this years tour of the Flanders Sportive (padded saddle required for the 26% cobbled hill sections)
sportograf-46411823_lowres.jpg

Latest build.  1952 Ultrashort wheelbase Claud Butler tandem.  Unfortunately my girlfriend isn't massively keen on riding on it :(
10492426_10152939480415410_3549699881495614224_n.jpg

My bike looks puny compared all this high tech iron.. (aluminum and carbon). I notice the link to my previously posted image  is broken so here is another image that should not go away.

I haven't shifted out of the top ring for months so it't basically a 7 speed bike the way I use it.

Not looking forward to colder weather.

JR

Attachments

• bike.png
    bike.png
    610.2 KB · Views: 2
I don't mind the cold so much.  Once you get going, you warm up.  The only thing is keeping feet & hands warm.  Neoprene overshoes & merino wool socks are useful if you can't afford proper winter cycling shoes. 

I'm not that keen on cycling in the wet however.  Poor visibility for motorists, brakes don't work so great, not much to like there ....

Thanks for the info.. I have some running mittens but might need something more wind resistant. For cold feet I'll have to see how bad it gets. Probably won't do long rides..

The first thing I noticed about the bike vs running is how much cooler it was in hot weather. This may not be moving in the right direct for cold weather.

JR

Yes.  The fact that you are cooler in the summer can work against you.  I have found that I sweat a lot and with a high salt content compared to the average person.  When I have been cycling in the South of France and Mallorca etc where it's hot you don't notice the fluid loss through sweating so easily because it evaporates at speed.  Therefore I have to be quite careful to keep hydrated.  The first time I did the Pyrenean Sportive I was not in too good shape when I finished due to slight dehydration.  But I really like climbing moutains, tough going up but the 50-60mph descents even things out.

Rob Flinn said:
Yes.  The fact that you are cooler in the summer can work against you.  I have found that I sweat a lot and with a high salt content compared to the average person.  When I have been cycling in the South of France and Mallorca etc where it's hot you don't notice the fluid loss through sweating so easily because it evaporates at speed.  Therefore I have to be quite careful to keep hydrated.  The first time I did the Pyrenean Sportive I was not in too good shape when I finished due to slight dehydration.  But I really like climbing moutains, tough going up but the 50-60mph descents even things out.

I don't have the bike miles that you do but I know about sweating.  Running in MS in the summer involves a lot of sweating. Besides water for adequate hydration, I found that I even had to supplement salt to compensate for the salt I lost from perspiration. I guess most people on a typical (American) diet of processed and fast food are not very low on dietary salt, but I cook everything that I eat so I had to intentionally add extra salt to my diet to keep things in balance, and prevent night-time cramping .  I guess sports drinks have useful electrolytes (it's what plants crave) but I don't drink sports drinks either.

JR

Latest posts

Back