D47 Fet New Body Style PCB now available

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Dan's D7 capsule and a Cinemag CM-13101 transformer in both. The capsule is really nice, darker than the Heiserman K47 in my H47FET and full bodied. I like it more than that mic.

Have you had an opportunity to AB this with an original FET47?

Pretty soon I ll complete this build. Still waiting on a Moby 47fet transformer…last piece of the puzzle. I have an original Neumann k47 for it so it will be an interesting comparison with the original 47fet we have here.
Would love to know your thoughts on the comparisons.

Anyone out there done any direct AB's between the different available capsules.

I imagine the main components effecting sonics will be the TX and capsule.

So the build is finished. Parts from the bom, Moby transformer and Neumann k47 capsule. Compared to our original Neumann the level is a bit higher on the clone but the sound is pretty much spot on..so close that you can do punch ins. Our Neumann has been in front of loud kick drums for the past 15 years so the sound is a touch more “relaxed” but we are splitting hairs here. The clone still need a burn in period also. Very happy with this build.

Got a really nice Moby transformer yesterday. It doesn't quite fit this PCB set; perhaps I'll make my own lower deck to fit it. If I do, I'll share the Gerbers.
It fits…just clip the 4 ends of the soft “toothlike” plastic ( corners). Also file a little the pcb to make space for the screws that hold the laminations

Can anyone help me find alternatives for:
Metal Oxide Resistors 220M OHM 1% 200PPM 1W
and
Metal Oxide Resistors 1/4watt 200M 1%

Thanks in advance!
I ordered 10 x 5% on the gamble that I can measure one of them within 1% tolerance. The schematic I have looked at does not give resistor tolerance. Is the original design 1% tolerance?

Anyone interesting in doing a bulk order from either AMI for output transformers or Beesneez for capsules?

I talked to AMI and they would give us 7% off an order of 10. I need two so we are already on our way.

Beesneez said they would give us 20% off and order of any 10 capsules. I'd be in for four.

let's save some cash yall!
I'm interested in Beesneez and AMI group buys.

Am I right in thinking that the D7 is based more on the M7 construction perhaps a more authentic match for a U47 (valve)

would it be fair to say the beezneez would be the most authentic choice for a FET47 out of the two?

I know both these capsules are highly rated. So it's not a question of sonics, but sonic character that is close to the original.

I’ve just finished putting this together, but I seem to be having some problems and I’m not entirely sure where to start working through them. Currently I have no signal, but can hear an audible hum when touching the mic. Is it likely these are two separate issues?

I was also hoping to check my transformer wiring - I went with Moby’s 09331. I tucked away the lower impedance secondary winding since this build only has the one 10dB pad on the front end. I used one ground wire to attach to the pin 1 output on the amp PCB and the other is connected directly to the XLR output; is this correct?

Thanks for any advice, and happy to fill in additional details that may be helpful!

I’ve just finished putting this together, but I seem to be having some problems and I’m not entirely sure where to start working through them. Currently I have no signal, but can hear an audible hum when touching the mic. Is it likely these are two separate issues?

I was also hoping to check my transformer wiring - I went with Moby’s 09331. I tucked away the lower impedance secondary winding since this build only has the one 10dB pad on the front end. I used one ground wire to attach to the pin 1 output on the amp PCB and the other is connected directly to the XLR output; is this correct?

Thanks for any advice, and happy to fill in additional details that may be helpful!
No, I don't think you have wired the transformer correctly.

Here is how I did it:
- Tie the white wires together and cover with shrink tubing
- Tie the green and yellow wires together and cover with shrink tubing
- Solder both black shield wires to the XLR ground lug
- Solder the remaining 4 wires to the amp pcb as follows
-- red to p+
-- brown to p-
-- blue to s+
-- violet to s-

Looking from the top you should have blue, violet, brown, and red for 4, 3, 2. 1 (s+, s-, p-, p+)

20230422_165234.jpg

Thanks so much, @doqmemory ! Transformer wiring is now corrected. It looks like I‘m still running into the same issue, though it may be louder now? I’m not sure; I didn’t note what my gain was set to in earlier tests.

Currently when I power it up I have a low level hum that gets quite a bit louder when I touch the mic. It doesn’t seem to be passing any signal to the output. Any suggestions on where to start tracing this problem out?

Thanks so much, @doqmemory ! Transformer wiring is now corrected. It looks like I‘m still running into the same issue, though it may be louder now? I’m not sure; I didn’t note what my gain was set to in earlier tests.

Currently when I power it up I have a low level hum that gets quite a bit louder when I touch the mic. It doesn’t seem to be passing any signal to the output. Any suggestions on where to start tracing this problem out?
Have you wired the XLR pins to the amp board correctly? Pin 1 (ground) should also connect to the body ground lug.

Is the capsule wired as shown on page 2?

I just finished this build with a BeesNeez M7 capsule. I have a square PCB build with a BeesNeez K47.
I know the capsules will sound different but the new, round PCB build is about 5dB quieter. Is this to be expected from the capsule or possibly a difference in the circuit?

I just finished this build with a BeesNeez M7 capsule. I have a square PCB build with a BeesNeez K47.
I know the capsules will sound different but the new, round PCB build is about 5dB quieter. Is this to be expected from the capsule or possibly a difference in the circuit?
Try cleaning hi-z areas of less quiet one?

Oh I guess I mean the output volume—they are not noisy
If everything else is identical, I'm guessing you have varying FETs that amplify differently due to the corresponding biasing. A changed PCB layout does not result in a 5db level difference with the same circuit.You can easily test the capsules by swapping it, if the 5dB level difference goes with it, you know what's going on.

Last edited:
D47 Fet New Body Style PCB now available

https://groupdiy.com/threads/vintag...t-for-diy-new-d7-custom-capsule.49675/page-50Best,
Dan

Hi All, Since the recrudescence and availability of this new u47 fet body and since i have been involved with it when it originally came out
I have decided to offer it for dyers getting those new body , it has meticulously been sized to be a perfect fit including the slider switch position and tolerance on the side of the body it is mounted via Dual Header Connector ( HZ deck-Amp deck) , you can fit a lot of transformer on the Tranny deck and the HZ layout is very similar to my D47Fet.

PCB are in stock now 40usd set , + mailing , i will add it to the webstore Soon

if interested please post here
so i can have a idea if i need to reorder more of those.
Best,
Dan,
Hi Dan,

So one microphone need 4 pcs of PCBs boards?

Linda

Hey guys and gals- For anyone who has one of the ShuaiYin clone bodies- Do you have trouble with the internal arm nut loosening and rattling? The only way I've generally been able to fix it is to open the mic up and tighten it from the inside. Did I put it together wrong? It seems like this shouldn't happen... Even if I tighten the mounting arm with a hex wrench, the inside nut will still loosen up and can't be tightened from the outside. Should I take it apart and add a locknut washer to it? I think I put one of the dark grey washers the kit came with on the inside between the internal nut and body wall... Confusing.

Latest posts

Back