dbx 160vu clone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Abe and I are on it.  We are already kicking a few designs around.  But it would be good to get everyone's feedback on this.  Do you guys prefer a 1u or 2u unit?

I think we can get the comp in a 1u case for a stereo comps with the hairball meters.  But, it won't look as vintage as the original in a 1U?  So, maybe you guys could chime in on what you want to see in the case.

Thanks guys.

EDIT:  It would also be nice to have an idea of how many guys are gonna want cases and front panels for this project.  That way we can get better price estimates.

I'll let my vote be known....I think 2 channel 1ru is probably the best option. 2ru gives more options control real-estate wise, but with only 3 control knobs per channel, there should be plenty of room for DIY option switches people might want to add.

Plus when its all said and done, its always nice to have a project in a compact case rather then a large one. unless your trying to fill up that new rack! ;-)

I am definitely going to shoe horn mine into a 1RU any way I can. It probably will bear little resemblance to the original, but that's how I like it. I only plan on one channel for now. See how I like it before adding more channels. Shouldn't be a problem to put 2 channels in a 1RU. I am just winging it on this one.

I have never been able to get into front panel designer. I actual just use MS word to design all my drilling templates. Hasn't let me down yet!

Has anyone ever used foam tape to mount their PCB's in a case? I am going to be trying a couple different things on my next couple of builds. I usually drill holes for my standoff's, but its a PITA. I am going to be trying JB weld as well. See what happens.

dandeurloo said:
Abe and I are on it.  We are already kicking a few designs around.  But it would be good to get everyone's feedback on this.  Do you guys prefer a 1u or 2u unit?

I think we can get the comp in a 1u case for a stereo comps with the hairball meters.  But, it won't look as vintage as the original in a 1U?  So, maybe you guys could chime in on what you want to see in the case.

Thanks guys.

EDIT:  It would also be nice to have an idea of how many guys are gonna want cases and front panels for this project.  That way we can get better price estimates.

Great! 

As for racks: this is a clone, correct?  Then it should be a 2U - particularly since the build is stoopid cheap.  I don't think a 1U would look right...so it'll be interesting to see what you guys come up with. 

Since I'll be building 4 of these, I'm in for two racks.

DY

Yea,
All I am worried about is that the circuits sounds good and electrically is the same to the vintage circuit. I've always taken for granted what the units look like. But it shouldn't be hard to re create some units that look like the originals using a 2ru rack space.

I'm sure many people will want to recreate that original "look". If that's what you want to do, then its easy you already have a layout laid out for you!

I should be done with a little basic design the beginning of this coming week for anyone that wants to use an already made design for 1ru...

Guys, lets start a little vote on the 2u and 1u.  It is possible to do both if we have enough interest in them both.  I personally am down with either.    It could look similar to the original or the space savings of a 1u are both appealing to me.  

So far we have a few votes.  I can update this as we start to see more votes coming in.  This will help me figure out how many case will be needed and Abe how many boards will be needed.  

2 rack space units:

damnyankee  x 2 (stereo units)

1 rack space units:

Abe x 1 (stereo unit)
Insomniaclown x 1 (possibly would want a mono unit)

So far it seems we have most people wanting stereo units.  Let me know if stereo or mono is more important.  

Thanks guys.

dandeurloo said:
Guys, lets start a little vote on the 2u and 1u.  It is possible to do both if we have enough interest in them both.  I personally am down with either.    It could look similar to the original or the space savings of a 1u are both appealing to me.  

So far we have a few votes.  I can update this as we start to see more votes coming in.  This will help me figure out how many case will be needed and Abe how many boards will be needed.  

2 rack space units:

damnyankee  x 2 (stereo units)

1 rack space units:

Abe x 1 (stereo unit)
Insomniaclown x 1 (possibly would want a mono unit)

So far it seems we have most people wanting stereo units.  Let me know if stereo or mono is more important.  

Thanks guys.

Hi Dan (and AC),

For me: two mono units per rack with 1 torroidal to supply both units.  ;D

While I like the idea of less rack space, I also like to see everything clearly and be able to fit my ham fists between controls. I'm constantly bending, leaning and contorting to see/use my GSSL, for instance.

I'd be interested in seeing your 1U version but I'm leaning more towards a 2u for ease of use/visibility. The 2u version also has the additional appeal of resembling the original design.

Mark

Hi All,
Here is what I've got so far

www.acsoundstudio.com/DIY/160vu/dbxfrontpanel_2.bmp

trying to suck more resolution out of these programs when exporting shouldn't be an issue, but for some reason it is.

controls Left to Right:

THRESHOLD
RATIO
MAKE UP GAIN

there are holes for the above/below LEDs to the left of the meter
the meter is http://hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=64

and the switches are the 4 gang w/power from hairball. on the left side there is power and on the right side the switch engages the STEREO LINK (it will have to be unhooked from the gang)

I think  once we decide on a layout dandeurloo is interested in fabing them

Cheers,
AC

Hi AC,

NICE!!!  Just two observations I'm noticing:

1.  If the Threshold/Compression/Output Gain pots are placed there, there's about what, <1/2" space from the middle of the pot to the top of the rack?  The knobs will have to be pretty darn small - smaller than the knobs on the silver-railed Dyna-mites (a source of complaint from some Dyna-mite users).

2.  The Above/Below LEDs are indicators for the Threshold knob.  Based on my experience from my dbx 119's: you'll want those LEDs over the Threshold knob.

DY

damnyankee said:
1.  If the Threshold/Compression/Output Gain pots are placed there, there's about what, <1/2" space from the middle of the pot to the top of the rack?  The knobs will have to be pretty darn small - smaller than the knobs on the silver-railed Dyna-mites (a source of complaint from some Dyna-mite users).

You can have a knob that has a 1" diameter in those places so I don't think there should be too much of a problem. There is .65" from the center if the knob shaft to the top of the faceplate. so you could get away with  1.3" diameter knobs if you felt like it.

damnyankee said:
2.  The Above/Below LEDs are indicators for the Threshold knob.  Based on my experience from my dbx 119's: you'll want those LEDs over the Threshold knob.

I thought about that, and it was my first option. But due to the limited vertical space, having them placed were they are, seemed the best option I could come up with. I don't think having the indication placed a few inches from the control knob should be too much of a problem for most people...

Good thoughts! Not trying to shoot them down, but it gives me a chance to explain my reasoning behind some of the choices made.

Cheers!
Abe

Hi AC,

I'm sure you tried this...but I have to ask: did you position the switches vertically along the left side (or right side) like the 1176?  That might free up some space in the middle of the rack for both larger knobs and the Threshold LEDs.

Thanks,

DY

damnyankee said:
Hi AC,

I'm sure you tried this...but I have to ask: did you position the switches vertically along the left side (or right side) like the 1176?  That might free up some space in the middle of the rack for both larger knobs and the Threshold LEDs.

Thanks,

DY

Hi DY,
no it is not possible to mount the switches vertically...in a 1 RU rack...
as the picture shows the switches are 2.364" tall (if mounted vertically) and standard 1 ru rack is 1.75" high...

If you are making a 2ru then you could easily have room to mount the switches vertically, and plenty of room for anything else.

My racks are filling up and since  there are no transformers in this project I see no point for me to use anything but 1ru.

2ru looks snazzier and is easier to mount everything, but what happens when you get that live gig down the street and you want to bring a few channels of good compression?

Or there is a fire and you want to grab a few necessities before you go upstairs for the kids?

Or the Mexican mafia has found you despite of your pseudo names and government protection and before you jump ship you want to fit as many pieces of audio gear in your truck as possible

all solid reasons to stick with a 2 channel 1ru

my 2 pesos

Also,
I should mention if I haven't before. I have not tested this panel layout with all the parts. Everything should fit inside the case. As long as your pots are about 1" or less and you might need to bend some of the pins on the switches. I have kept all this in mind when designing it but I have not built one

USe at your own RISK! Its DIY for all goodness!
Good luck comrades

abechap024 said:
Or there is a fire and you want to grab a few necessities before you go upstairs for the kids?

a man with priorities!  they're both fun to make, but it's impossible to properly calibrate a child- and if you 'set and forget,' you'll be hearing from child services...  if only they could be modded with an attenuator  ;)

abechap024 said:
I thought about that, and it was my first option. But due to the limited vertical space, having them placed were they are, seemed the best option I could come up with.

i actually rather like the led indicators next to the meters, it narrows the visual field.  your eyes can only look at so many things at once, after all, and if you're adjusting the threshold knob to led info then you aren't really watching the knob position anyhow.  in that sentiment, having a pseudo-mirroring of the faceplate with both meters in the center might remove even more visual field issues.  excited to give this a go at any rate!

grantlack said:
i actually rather like the led indicators next to the meters, it narrows the visual field.  your eyes can only look at so many things at once, after all, and if you're adjusting the threshold knob to led info then you aren't really watching the knob position anyhow.  in that sentiment, having a pseudo-mirroring of the faceplate with both meters in the center might remove even more visual field issues.  excited to give this a go at any rate!

The design can be easily mirrored. I'll give that a go today and see how it turns out. Mirrored stuff always seems to have a little more grab on the eye. My only concern is its a little more confusing, but it would be super easy to try so why not.

I'lll be posting some results!

Edit:

www.acsoundstudio.com/DIY/160vu/dbxfrontpanel_2.pdf
www.acsoundstudio.com/DIY/160vu/dbxfrontpanel_2_nomeasure.pdf

and all the labeling is just for clarity of the layout.
Hope that helps!
Enjoy!

Edit Edit: also the right channel "pwr" switch can be unlatched and is in my head perfect for triggering a separate little circuit that will need a momentary push button switch on/off relay for the stereo link circuit.

Abe

That's nice layout AC! Looks really good and easy to implement. I agree with the LED positioning. Much easier to just be looking at one area of the panel at a time. After looking at your layout, I think I will end up doing a 2 channel unit after all.  ;D Why not? Its so inexpensive to build!

I just wanted to confirm that if I use the THAT 2180, that there are no issues building the discrete RMS module on the PCB. From what I remember reading, the only issue with the transistor matching has to do with the VCA. Is that the case?

PCB still in transit, but I am stoked to get working on it. Anyone else made some head way?

Insomniaclown said:
That's nice layout AC! Looks really good and easy to implement. I agree with the LED positioning. Much easier to just be looking at one area of the panel at a time. After looking at your layout, I think I will end up doing a 2 channel unit after all.  ;D Why not? Its so inexpensive to build!

I just wanted to confirm that if I use the THAT 2180, that there are no issues building the discrete RMS module on the PCB. From what I remember reading, the only issue with the transistor matching has to do with the VCA. Is that the case?
Glad you like the layout. Its not too imaginative, pretty much the 160vu crammed into 1ru!  EDIT: And regarding the RMS. there is no transistor matching. It uses the matched transistor array c8083 (nte929) and only one bc5xx discrete transistor. As you've heard the VCA is another story!

I'm amazed on how long USA to Canada post takes! I sent it off a couple weeks ago

Cheers
Abe

Hey AC. My main question was whether or not there were any transistor matching issues with the RMS module. I was going to build the RMS module on the board and then use the THAT 2180 in the VCA. Sorry, I am only 2 cups of coffee into my day, so I word things weird until cup 3 comes along. Speaking of which...

I have had packages arrive from the states within a couple of days, and I have had stuff take over a month. It's a race right now! I have 3 packages due in from the states for 3 different projects. Whichever one arrives first, that's the project I am devoting my time to. For some reason the tracking on the PCB you sent me ends in Chicago. Again, not unusual. Pretty typical for tracking to end at the border. I'll keep an eye out though!

Insomniaclown said:
Hey AC. My main question was whether or not there were any transistor matching issues with the RMS module. I was going to build the RMS module on the board and then use the THAT 2180 in the VCA. Sorry, I am only 2 cups of coffee into my day, so I word things weird until cup 3 comes along. Speaking of which...

HAha! Sorry, I went back and edited my original post once I re read your original question and realized your typed RMS and my brain jumped VCA! I Thought I would be fast enough, before anyone read it, but looks like that your moving  faster of me Lol I havn't had any coffee yet today, so I need Coffee!!
AC

Back