Do DAC chips need programming?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harbapapa

So, my question is as title says (maybe a newbie question - sorry).

Do dac chips need programming or can they set up just using control pins? For example AK5558VN or Midas8000 or similar

I was thinking to connect dac/adc to Minidsp Mchstreamer in i2s or tdm mode. Do I need to program dac chip to get this work. I managed to connect Pcm1808 to it successfully, but how about more complex dac?

Also if I don't need programming would there be some benefits to use it anyway?

You have data sheets for these devices ?
Yes. Is there any specific info to determine my question?

Like this table in datasheet?
I'm asking this because programming is probably too much for me. I could build 10 in/out dac pretty easily but if I want more channels I would have to go tdm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230611_174221_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20230611_174221_Samsung Notes.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 0
Yes. Is there any specific info to determine my question?

Like this table in datasheet?
I'm asking this because programming is probably too much for me. I could build 10 in/out dac pretty easily but if I want more channels I would have to go tdm.

You need to refer to the whole datasheet and any associated application notes. tbh I'm not going to go through it myself for fun. But eg many years ago when I was implementing a design using whatever AKM converters the modes etc could be controlled either via register programming or pin logic levels.

Back