Donnie D builds Drip UE-100

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DonnieDarko

Hey guys,

so this is my build thread. I opened this, because I found similiar threads for other projects always to be very helpful. Thinking of the "TG1 Advice" and "MK47" Build Threads.

So, first off, if you decide to tackle this one, it´s by far the most expensive DIY Project I did so far - both in money and time.

I live in Germany and with tax, shipping and VAT, the parts add up to A LOT. When doing a project like this, you might wanna use only very high quality parts on each part of the build. Same as with a car: When opting for the BMW 7series, a few thousand bucks more for the white leather interior won´t hurt much, considering the overall pricetag.

Having parts shipped is time consuming, as you have to place an order at Drip, a lot of orders at Mouser, one at Digikey, one at Audiomaintenance, Banzainmusic (i got my chickenheads here, you can get them somewhere else of course), DIY Racked (or your trusted case builder), Sowter, Tubedepot (or other Tube Dealer) AND you need to stock a LOT of solderwire. Most of these deliveries have you running to the tax office, where people like me spend each time about 2 hours to white for the slow german officers to locate your package and have it opened and stamped 3 times and then you can wait some extra 30 minutes till you can pay.

So, solder all Parts to the PCBs. Easy game for experienced DIY people hanging round these parts of the interweb. Make sure to elevate all those expensive resistors a bit and clean the boards properly with alcohol.

When having installed all your components on the board, you should come up with something like this.

Attachments

• IMG_6911.JPG
    IMG_6911.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 213
Now come´s the more complicated stuff.

First, I install the PSU Board in the back of the unit, wiring the chokes nicely.

Attachments

• IMG_7857.JPG
    IMG_7857.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 149
Then  I install the fans in the backplate.  I selected very quiet ones.

You can see the cables from the Sowter Mains Trafo.

Attachments

• IMG_7858.JPG
    IMG_7858.JPG
    186.1 KB · Views: 89
On top of that, I installed a second transformer for the relay power.

Attachments

• IMG_7889.JPG
    IMG_7889.JPG
    229.9 KB · Views: 62
Here you can see the three grounds:

The audio GND between the XLRs, the Heater GND with the brown wires on the left, the High Voltage GND with the green wires.

Attachments

• IMG_7888.JPG
    IMG_7888.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 64
Meanwhile, I connect the boards with the custom standoffs provided by DIY Racked together with the case.

They make the distance between the centers of the switches exactly 2 inch.

Also install Tubes, RCA Cables and Power Subdivision.

Attachments

• IMG_7890.JPG
    IMG_7890.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 123
Then, just put it on the baseplate.

Note the AMP Board mounted on top of the cage holding the PSU Board.

Attachments

• IMG_7891.JPG
    IMG_7891.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 145
From the side, you can see how the big fans are used to get rid of hot air from the PSU and the smaller ones "upstairs" take care of the EQ Boards and the AMP.

Attachments

• IMG_7892.JPG
    IMG_7892.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 98
Installed switches for Bypass and Goldpoint 100K Log Stepped Switches for the Gain Adjust.

Attachments

• IMG_7898.JPG
    IMG_7898.JPG
    167.9 KB · Views: 107
These are the Bypass board I made for hard Bypass. Pretty simple, but they do the trick. Just used four relays I had left and hooked them up to connector A (Relay 12V+) and H (Relay GND).

Attachments

• IMG_7899.JPG
    IMG_7899.JPG
    292.3 KB · Views: 81
I only did test each baord individually before putting it together, haven´t used it "as a whole" yet. Will put it in the rack tomorrow and give it a testdrive!

Here you can see the wiring of the RCA cables and the Goldpoints. Did use standard Lorlin for the switches, love the feel.

Attachments

• IMG_7909.JPG
    IMG_7909.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 119
One last chickenhead missing.

Everything clicks and works and voltages check out fine. Fans are super silent.

Attachments

• IMG_7910.JPG
    IMG_7910.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 148
Back