Drum recording epiphany

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mulletchuck said:
I perform with 3 different gospel drummers every weekend.   Metronomic drumming from real people IS possible.

Not only is it possible, I think it should be required before going into the studio. But that's just be being an a**-hole drummer.

riggler said:
I wonder if you guys like the FAT HEAD mic? I was thinking about getting one or two as they weren't too expensive compared to other ribbons.

I totally recommend grabbing a stereo pair of these guys.  I have them and they are amazing for room mics and overheads.  They aren't bad out of the box, but I sent mine off to Marik and he swapped his custom transformers in them and re-ribboned them (since i think my skills with ribbon mics was quite novice when i got them and I hurt one).

They are now outstanding.  For the price, these mics are very good.  The quality control at Cascade is a lot higher than most other companies that sell similar looking ribbon mics.

Kingston said:
I personally don't use overheads. They are pointless in a studio, and a very unnatural place for a mic. Nobody ever listens to the kit in this position (hovering above) so don't expect to make any usable sounds out of them.

Pretty flawed logic there.  Do we ever ask people to sing 6 inches from our ear?  Or crouch down and rest our ears against the cone of a raging 4x12 Marshall?  Overheads can be awful or amazing.  The common mistake is judging where to put them by how it looks.  That said good room mics are key but only work if you have a decent room.  We are often forced to fake these things after the fact.

I personally don't use overheads. They are pointless in a studio, and a very unnatural place for a mic. Nobody ever listens to the kit in this position (hovering above) so don't expect to make any usable sounds out of them.

I'd venture to say I've gotten some rad sounds with JUST overheads and a (far away) kick mic, but you know everybody does their own thing. A long time ago I saw some pics from old big band sessions, and I didn't see many if any close mics on the whole ensemble. But this is going to get this thread a little off-topic...

If the big band is properly rehearsed and the players are listening/balancing, you can record the whole horn section with a stereo pair.  I'll point your attention to the Thad Jones/Mel Lewis record "Opening Night", where the village vanguard band performed their first set ever and someone recorded it(bootleg).   

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radio/B0000640MK/ref=pd_krex_dp_001_007?ie=UTF8&track=007&disc=001

Latest posts

Back