Dual compressor in 1RU (other than SSL)?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneRoomStudio

GDIY Supporter
What projects are out there that can fit two channels of compression into one rack unit? I already have a GSSL, so I was hoping for a diode bridge, PWM, FET, or something else. It seems like larger meters are typically the reason for larger enclosure, but controls and transformers can make 1ru for a pair of channels tricky as well.

What projects are out there that can fit two channels of compression into one rack unit? I already have a GSSL, so I was hoping for a diode bridge, PWM, FET, or something else. It seems like larger meters are typically the reason for larger enclosure, but controls and transformers can make 1ru for a pair of channels tricky as well.

You could squeeze 2 channels of LA4 into a 1U with small vu meters.

True! Joe Malone’s “MAC” compressor is a great LA-3a(ish) compressor in 1RU. I already have a pair of his LA500a’s though (same circuit in 500 series).

I wish there was a dual JFET or Diode Bridge project in 1RU.

Hadn't checked ghr website lately, so not sure what boards are available.
(Aso, second half of '23, I was hardly at home.)

Was referring to diode8 board. I used multistrand cable for the rotaries there, cos I prefer thr-rat-att-rel order. SC is on sub board, but heightwise it would all fit into a 1U case if controls are wired.

The diode32 has everything onboard. Att, Rel etc marked as blank resistors. So could go pots, indented pots, or resistors on rotaries.

Last edited:
yeah for sure on the original.. Was thinking those dact type stepped deals could be cool and only have to have one set of controls since they're dual gang usually

Heikki hasn't released the 32 version yet afaik...think he was waiting to get some feedback for possible hiccups before he does but not sure....

Last edited:
Would be cool if there was a DIY solution to easily create DACT pots of any kind. But we are hijacking this thread...

Use your imagination and make one? Or how about taking someone's circuit from a datasheet or circuit ideas flyers. There is a lot of options out there if you want to take it that far.

Use your imagination and make one? Or how about taking someone's circuit from a datasheet or circuit ideas flyers. There is a lot of options out there if you want to take it that far.
That's pretty dismissive. I was just asking a question. A quick look at my profile would show that I have been a member here for almost 20 years and have built many many projects, including designing some of my own. Sometimes a person just wants to know what is available for a quick turn-around project.

There is. But I think it would be too technical to discuss with this audience.
I'm not sure who you mean by "this audience," but designing a surface mount stepped attenuator isn't the most technical thing ever (other than custom mechanical design).

The PRR176 was (meant as) a 1U stereo 'varimu', but I read somewhere on this forum that tubes might die prematurely for lack of ventilation / heat dissipation inside a 1U case.

Boards show up from time to time.

Last edited:
That's pretty dismissive. I was just asking a question. A quick look at my profile would show that I have been a member here for almost 20 years and have built many many projects, including designing some of my own. Sometimes a person just wants to know what is available for a quick turn-around project.

I'm not sure who you mean by "this audience," but designing a surface mount stepped attenuator isn't the most technical thing ever (other than custom mechanical design).
Well, when you run out of the build by numbers, look to doing something different.
How about a INA217 mic preamp, that is DC coupled 200 ohm input with a balanced line driver IC with gain control at the INA217 and a H-Pad volume control at the end with an output impedance of 10K.

I was joking with the DACT because I don't see people discussing any circuit formulas and just copying. Of course, that guy who is dissecting transformers is interesting another way. Besides that the T type attenuator is not really that great of an attenuator. H type is superior

Compressor? How about a stereo 5 band graphic compressor. Like a simple RC EQ with each pole having its own compressor.

Last edited:
I have a couple of the original pico boards.... I think they're unbalanced...
pretty sure I also have a couple of the that compressor boards that another member had going for a while....
I think I'll hold on and see how Heikki's new 32 version of the diode comp turns out. It looks like a great concept.

Latest posts

Back