Dynamic Kick Drum Mic

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of all the kick mics I have personally experienced … I loved the U47FET and I WISH I still had access to one …

But as I said, I am quite happy with my RE20/Beta 91A combo …

I would have liked to have had access to a Beyer M380 … having watched Steve Albini’s drum recording video … and out of great respect for him and his work … I would agree with his choice … and would like to either acquire one or do the DIY version one day (I have a pair of 600 ohm DT-990’s that were accidentally (at least I THINK it was an accident 😂 ) stepped on and broken in half by a guitar player) …

I am also curious about Steve’s use of a lav mic on the batter head as a “click” EQ …

Happy recording !!!
yeah, if you told me i could only use one mic for the rest of life for kick it would be a fet47. Also i don’t use the sm91 that ofter but when i do i think to myself “yeah, i should use it more”. Also the Alien Labs 8 is pretty damn close to the Beyer 380 if u dont want to diy.

a beater of felt ,wood or plastic surely have different sounds , but also effects the rebound feel the drummer gets , Id tend to let the drummer call the shots on the gear he uses ,
having said that , plastic beater against click pad ,against drum skin into D112 sounds synthetic to my ears ,

Many of the drummers I saw using triggers didnt give a flying squirt of piss about the state of tune of their instrument , idiots like that might be better of with an electronic kit .

Last edited:
My advise is be savvy. I picked my D112 up for about £50 it looks beat up, hence the price but sounds perfect.

I’ve done this with loads of my gear. It takes a lot of looking and sometimes a direct message to a seller.

Have to echo the 868 love in this thread. Seems to always be something of a sleeper, no matter how often I see it mentioned/praised.

I don’t think I saw this one mentioned but I also like the e602 if I want a more ‘pre-EQ’d sound’ than the 868. I have the first one and the mkii and tend to favor the original. The mkii seems a bit more hyped and is usually pushing it a bit too far for my tastes.

My favourite is the AKG D190E. Punchy with just the right amount of smack.

Cheers

Ian
wow, i never thought to try it on kick but it is spec’d down to 30hz. i sold the one i had cuz someone wanted to pay $300 for it…

My thoughts exactly! I have several of these kicking(!) around and that probably would’ve been my last instinct, but now I’m itching to give it a try!

Also, $300…wow. I didn’t think these were mics anyone particularly cared for.

Back