Etching Own Face plates

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gorgeous

Looks like you salvaged it from the recording studio of an old sunken pirate ship.

I like...

Nice work mate, very original.

On the second pic i noticed the gain knob going to 11 !!   ;D

This is Spinal Tap! moment! lol

Years ago, I used to have a Marshall Jcm900 Slx 100w head and the gain went up to 20!!!  Beat that!!  :D

Thanks for the comments.
The toner did seem to start breaking down around the edges after about 40min. I wanted to go deeper but decided against it. The etch is actually quite shallow, 0.25mm I guess. Just enough to catch your fingernail. It's the contrast between the polished and aged/unpolished that gives the depth. I also used some dark blue car polish to dirty it up a bit. The solution I used was Ferric chloride 40% 5 liters with 300ml Citric acid powder. This was $70 but should last a life time. You could get smaller amounts. Citric acid powder from super market and Ferric Chloride from Electronics store.

Attachments

• reflection.jpg
    reflection.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 613
I can't work out how to upload more than 1 image. I've searched but only found something about the 200kb limit per post. Can anyone point me in the right direction. This is after etch but before aging and buff.

Attachments

• 11after-etch-200kb.jpg
    11after-etch-200kb.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 612
Mate that is so supurb!!!

I recently tried to inquire about lasered panels in Aust as well and was astounded at the price.

I now feel energised to make a new panel.

Most of us use one of the "free" image services out there in the wild wild web.  ImageShack or Photobucket.  You can register for a free account which has some limitations but which is still quite usable for posting pics here and elsewhere.  Then you just grab the tag from the site after you upload and paste it in your message here using the "img" tags.

A P

analogpackrat has it right, i use flickr though, but it works well

also WOW that looks awesome!

very cool ill have to try this for something sometime soon

thanks for posting this piece of art!

Amazing work!

AnalogPackrat nailed it down: Jules Vernes is definitely the best name for this look/finish!

I have one question: Some lines are perfect, characters are very precise and straight...  And some are more weird looking, like the outer frame for instance...
Did you designed it this way, or is it a result of the toner breaking down after 40 minutes?

Axel

Thanks again everyone. This image, if it uploads alright, shows the badly painted boarder. I measured it wrong in Illustrator and tried to extend by shaky hand. So not the effect of undercutting the toner. I've also experimented with galv-etching which is supposed to eliminate any undercut. It's the opposite of electroplating. But I prefer the ferric chloride so far.
http://www.greenart.info/galvetch/contfram.htm

a>

Shabtek I don't think I'll be offering anything on the BM but thanks for + feedback.  ;D

a>

Attachments

• 1before-etch.jpg
    1before-etch.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 528
US folks should check out Caswell for antiquing supplies.  Their Bronze and Blackening solution is basically liver of sulfur, or potassium trisulfide/thiosulfate.  It will give the same effect as the copper sulfate.  They also offer selenious, phosphoric, and hydrochloric acid based oxidizers for other colors besides brown.

Back