EZ1290 Transformer Colour Mod?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatchDog

I've recently done a couple mods to my EZ1290 but I'd like to get a bit more colour out of the Iron, switchable.

Any suggestions on good/better ways to achieve this?

Anyone tried a pad over the output Transformer secondary, in order to be able to run it more 'hot' for example?

Or perhaps done the Neve DC Bias thing?

Is a non 1:1 transformer even applicable for these?

I did try this mod, I saw Ian (Ruff Records) suggested that putting a series resistor on a TX primary would induce more harmonics. So I put a 1k pot on the primary of the output TX (VTB 1148) to do some tests. Anything past 350ohms was unusable. In the end I installed a pin socket where I can install a removable resistor connected to a switch (on/off).

image_2024-05-17_175128473.png

This for sure adds more harmonics, also reduces HF and seemingly the dynamic range, but I'm not sold on the sound yet but need to do more experimentation.

No Series Resistor (100hz sine wave) VS 330Ohm Resistor Series Primary
100.png 330.png

Attachments

• 1715964456630.png
    1715964456630.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The problem with adding series resistance to the primary of a Neve output transformer is that it carries dc. The resistor will change colour more due to altering the bias conditions than anything it does to the transformer characteristics. The series resistor mod I suggested was really only for transformers carrying signal only.

Cheers

Ian

Back