Fanless Laptop

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffrecords

I am in the market for a fanless laptop. Nothing special, 8GB of RAM and at least 256GB SSD and Windows 10. I have seen quite a lot of these advertised but it is next to impossible to find out if they have a fan or not.

Cheers

Ian

What's its intended use? Only to gauge what sort of processor might be required. And what about display size?

Does it have to be a laptop? If it can be a tiny form factor, you could just buy a barebones version and then "extend" the heatsink to an aluminum enclosure that has enough mass to maintain a low temp.

There seem to be more than a few fanless small-form-factor pc's (more numerous than laptops anyway), but then you need some power brick (or external battery?) and a separate display...

Does it have to be a laptop? If it can be a tiny form factor, you could just buy a barebones version and then "extend" the heatsink to an aluminum enclosure that has enough mass to maintain a low temp.
Yes, it does have to be a laptop. I have a separate desktop computer. This is so I can work anywhere. I already have a small form factor PC in the workshop.

Cheers

Ian

So probably not a 13" display, if at all possible, i'm guessing. What about budget?

I am in the market for a fanless laptop. Nothing special, 8GB of RAM and at least 256GB SSD and Windows 10. I have seen quite a lot of these advertised but it is next to impossible to find out if they have a fan or not.

Cheers

Ian
Hi Ian,
Chuwi is an off brand that makes decent 10.8 to 15 in. Laptops & small form factor desktops, from US$179 and up. See: March sales to consider 2022|Chuwi official Store

Cheers

Ian
This and several others in their March specials are fanless:

CHUWI MiniBook X 10.8" 2K full touchscreen | Intel Jasper Lake N5100 | UHD Graphics GPU | Windows 11 | 12GB DDR4+512GB SSD​

$559.00

This and several others in their March specials are fanless:

CHUWI MiniBook X 10.8" 2K full touchscreen | Intel Jasper Lake N5100 | UHD Graphics GPU | Windows 11 | 12GB DDR4+512GB SSD​

$559.00
I quite like the Chuwi Corebook X 14 inch with 16G RAM and 512GB SSD at $579. These appear to be shipped direct from China so what is the warranty position??

Cheers

Ian

Curious why you need fanless. They can be annoying, but the fan usually only turns on during heavy number crunching. It shouldn't during pcb layout.

Ive been looking for a silent PC for years and years for simple music recording ,as the processor technology has improved the complexity of the OS tends to eat out the gains in terms of effeciency and the fan tends to come back on . Closest I got to silent was when I used a single core atom processor , a paired back version of XP and an SSD drive . Form factor was a Nettop box , it had a fan ,but with the lid off it almost never needed to switch on , I also experimented with adding in extra heatsinks

The single best piece of advice to make a silent Pc is get in and permanently kill switch any and all internal bleep and bloop windows sounds , this means the audio stream isnt interupted with the usual glitches when the sample rate changes.

So anyway , three types of PC noise , acoustic noise due to a fan or hardrive , glitches in the audio output due to sample rate conversion and other moments when Windows goes off about its daily houskeeping business at just the wrong moment and Psu induced noise in conjunction with audio interfaces . Battery powered laptops tend to fare out best in terms of induced sources of noise but maybe not so well at shifting heat from the chipset due to the enclosed space .

For me the reality of the more modern OS's is this , half the time your computer is out to lunch doing the masters bidding , lining you up as a target for marketing meanwhile actually stealing your electricity and your privacy . A non 64 bit OS is now more or less defunct due to the inbuilt limitations in terms of ram addresses . Gates et-al has produced the biggest pile of electronic waste the planet has ever seen , he knows well the truth as does ZucherBorg, is it any wonder they have ventured into philanthropy ,its only the rich mans way of trying wash the blood off his hands and save face publicly .

The fan almost never runs on my downgraded WIN10 >WIN7 PC

Whaddya know - there seems to actually be a website entirely dedicated to this:

https://fanlesslaptop.com
Indeed, I already found several sites like that but they are littered with Chromebooks and touch screen models. Very few 'proper' laptops running Win10. But they did give me some starting points but no idea of whether any of them are any good.

Cheers

Ian

@Tubetec: get a proper OS, one that properly compartmentalizes processes and memory, that uses all your dearly bought processor cores and RAM, that doesn't bug you with updates or ads or sell your privacy, that runs well on older cooler HW, keeps the system up if some app crashes (very rarely). All available for free (as in freedom) and with encryption to back it...
Slowly wearing away the (excellent) keyboard on this 2011 Thinkpad x220. (reasonably silent provided a cleaning every once in a while, except when doing CAD).

Of course, you'll have to learn some new apps and adjust the modular UI to your liking, but what is life for, if not for learning?

(Sorry if I'm pontificating, running mainly Debian Linux since '98)
Cheers

@Tubetec: get a proper OS, one that properly compartmentalizes processes and memory, that uses all your dearly bought processor cores and RAM, that doesn't bug you with updates or ads or sell your privacy, that runs well on older cooler HW, keeps the system up if some app crashes (very rarely). All available for free (as in freedom) and with encryption to back it...
Slowly wearing away the (excellent) keyboard on this 2011 Thinkpad x220. (reasonably silent provided a cleaning every once in a while, except when doing CAD).

Of course, you'll have to learn some new apps and adjust the modular UI to your liking, but what is life for, if not for learning?

(Sorry if I'm pontificating, running mainly Debian Linux since '98)
Cheers
+1 for Linux. Today I had to upgrade my old Linux desktoop machine running Ubuntu on an old AMD dual core processor. I already maxed it out with RAM and replaced HDDs with SSDs but you know the main reason I had to upgrade the motherboard - because the USB sockets are worn out and hopelessly unrelaible. Mind you I now have and 8 core 2 thread processor that screams along nicely.

Cheers

Ian

the main reason I had to upgrade the motherboard - because the USB sockets are worn out and hopelessly unrelaible.
That's one of the reasons I don't particularly like laptops. When the connectors fail, you just have to throw the thing away.
On desktops, generally you can add a USB card with 5-7 USB ports.

Last edited:
Back