Federal Limiter AM864 thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's typical of military equipment manuals. The manual for my TV-7D/U tube tester has that, too. In reality, I doubt too many commanders in the field worried about the advanced, secret technology of tube testers and limiting amplifiers falling into the hands of the Warsaw Pact :wink:

[quote author="cannikin"]Anyone else that has built the Fed, if you could measure V1 and V2 Pin and confirm that would be helpful.[/quote]

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]Ohm's Law... It's easy, and it answers a lot of questions.[/quote]

Hiya Chaps,

just checking out this thread, wanting to build one soon,
could I use a UTC A-10, for i/p and a A-25 for the o/p ?

audioforge, can you repost the pics please, would love to see the Fed,

http://groupdiy.twin-x.com/displayimage.php?album=165&pos=3

Steve :thumb:

hi steve.
I ve upload again pics of my federal clone on http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/index.php?cat=1
search for AUDIOFORGE as user and am864 clone for album.

PS thanks a lot acrossen for the complete manual. too bad it came 5 months later my build....
a great help for future builder..

:grin: audioforge

Cheers audioforge,

looks supergood old bean :grin:
Metalwork is tops :grin:

bet it sounds as good as it looks :wink:

what are the two extra pots on the front ? current control & threshold?

how much DC mA is on the O/P transformer?

regards

'Forge,

would it be possible, to measure the dimensions of the federal chassis for me ?
I'm going to make one up , when I go back to work on Sunday.

Mucho Apreciated :grin:

Regards,
Steve

Steve.all i know is that the original one is 4U. i ve done mine using pics
found with google and ebay.
lateral sides on mine are 17cm high by 25,7cm width.
botom:(where the turret board is) approx 6cm high by43 cmX25.7cm.
so the cover should 17-6=11cm highX43cm (bend 90°) then 25.7.
take a paper a pencil and design your box.looking at your very nice and neat la2a i am sure you ll build a nicer box than i do.
btw as i said it before in this thread except in out traffos ! 6sn7 and 2 pieces of aluminium for the valves and botom +2meter of 12mmX12mm L type aluminium profiles
EVERYTHINGS elses (screws wires ,turret boards, components, meter ,xlrs, knobs, switches ,potentiometers, valves sockets, valves, power traffo, front panel ,and pieces of case etc...) come from old military or labo gear canibalized, found in a "metal" junkyard.
most of my diy are old before being "new" :wink: ....
finding the " quite right" stuff i need in a 3meter high 30meter long metal "hill" of electronics cards and destroyed military racks is as fun (and maybe more) than building and for sure use the finished gear.
cheers
audioforge

Cheers Audioforge,
Started mine today - it was a bit quiet in work, so I made up a few chassis :thumb:

where did you get your transformers from ?

and, i wish i had access to to your stores old bean !
would absolutley love to 'ave a good rummage around in the "Hill"
Damn right :wink:

Regards

ok so im getting to work ordering the parts for this , but i have a question (mabe a stupid one) , some of you guys ae using the solen fastcaps or hovland musicaps for the audio portions of this , but arent they non polar ? on the schematic all the capacitors are polar ( arent they?), i know the filter caps in the power supply section have to be polar but then i have to assume that the ones in the audio portion can be non polar ? is it because they are so small, if this is a stupid question , then , sorry :cry:
i hope you are all having a great day :grin:
-Brock-

I have 2 Edcor power transformers -- ( the one that are listed in the beginning of the thread) if your interested in them Pm me. They are used but all the leads are at least 4 inches. $15.00 each plus shipping.

sorry , wow, im an idot , and sick, a little fuzzy headed and all , i thought about it for like another 30 secods as i was driving and actually yelled out how F*@$ing stupid that was :evil: ' hope you guys are still having a good day :grin:

Hey Guys -- I'm back with more questions :oops:

I thought I could troubleshoot an issues that has been plaguing my Federals.. but it ain't happenin'

I have a 60/120Hz Hum -- I assume its a power supply issue and ground problem. -- most likely a poor placement of components.
Unfortunately I don't have a scope so I'm kind of lost (hell... I'm always lost, but I try)

Red is Federal 1
Green is Federal 2

fedfreq.jpg

I have already tried a Star Ground, Connected all grounds to one point - no luck, Moved the power Transformer and 5Y3 farther away from the rest of the circuit.

My voltages are good - it compresses nicely -- I just need it quiet or its useless to me.

Any thoughts?

Back