Feeler: Chinese K47/CK12 Capsule Groupbuy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Order when we reach minimum quantities, or move ahead with K47 only?

• K47 only

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Wait for CK12

Votes: 33 43.4%
  • Don't mind either way

Votes: 20 26.3%

• Total voters
I measured three K47-equipped mics as well, but i think i might need to alter some capacitor values in my modded-Schoeps mics, 'cause there's a bit too much low-end missing...

For what it's worth, the mics were around 50-60cm (~2ft) away from the test-speaker (a vented box with the port on the back - that might partially explain it).

Either way, the less-bass trace is from a modded-Schoeps in a BM800 body, while the other two are in sE2200A bodies with JFET+PNP+4:1 transformer.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2017-09-12 01.16.08.png
    Screenshot 2017-09-12 01.16.08.png
    162.7 KB · Views: 43
I have an RK47 that I'm not using...its brand new. I put it in a D-47 I built and then pulled it right out and put it back in its case. I don't know if you want it and I don't know what you wanna pay....nothing wrong with it, I swapped it for a Thiersch PVC capsule is why I pulled it.

Is that offer for me, or for anyone "willing"? :)

ShaneSBG said:
I have an RK47 that I'm not using...its brand new. I put it in a D-47 I built and then pulled it right out and put it back in its case. I don't know if you want it and I don't know what you wanna pay....nothing wrong with it, I swapped it for a Thiersch PVC capsule is why I pulled it.

Khron said:
Is that offer for me, or for anyone "willing"? :)

That's a trip...I saw a post here and I thought it was the most recent, but its actually on the other page  :eek:

zaraxisof said:
Is there anyone here who has a K47 or CK12 unused and want to sell it at a fair price?
Thanks.

as far as an "offer" I don't know...It doesn't really matter to me. I guess my only thing would be recouping as much of the cost as I can. I understand it's technically been used and there's zero reason for anyone to pay the $150 it costs for one of these from someone when you can get a brand new one for that. With all that said if you want it I don't mind....just not sure what a fair price for it is. I guess I would wanna get $100...I don't know....I feel like I rambling on with jibber jabber  :-X

ShaneSBG said:
That's a trip...I saw a post here and I thought it was the most recent, but its actually on the other page  :eek:

as far as an "offer" I don't know...It doesn't really matter to me. I guess my only thing would be recouping as much of the cost as I can. I understand it's technically been used and there's zero reason for anyone to pay the $150 it costs for one of these from someone when you can get a brand new one for that. With all that said if you want it I don't mind....just not sure what a fair price for it is. I guess I would wanna get $100...I don't know....I feel like I rambling on with jibber jabber  :-X

Thanks, i was looking for a cheap K47 one bought from here (groupbuy), so it could be at a price under 27.50, but anyway, thanks for posting :)

As an addendum to the "light on the bass" measurements of my mics, i kinda remember having seen plots of vented speaker responses over on John Krutke's website ( www.zaphaudio.com ).

http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17-L18-vented-port+cone-response.gif

The one with the dip / notch around 42Hz is the response of the driver itself, which then adds up with the vent output (grey trace) to give the total output.

That may well be the explanation for what i'm seeing, since i've used ony of my Tannoy Precision 6D monitors as a "test subject". Even after increasing the first coupling cap in my circuit from 100nF to 330nF (which, according to LTspice, pushed the -3dB point of the circuit from 32Hz to about 12Hz).

Hey there! Sorry for the three totally noob questions here, but I bought a bunch of these capsules back when the group buy happened. I have been sitting on them ever since due to my job making me hellaciously busy.

I have a MXL 910 I want to put one of the K47 capsules into, but I wasn't really sure how to go about it.

Question 1) The saddle that these came with don't really fit the MXL very well, so what should I do to get this saddle to mount?

Question 2) The K47 capsule we got has two wires coming off the center of the front and the back of the capsule. The original MXL capsule has a red wire coming off the center of the rear of the capsule, and a black wire coming off the side of the capsule. I am assuming these K47s are omni, however because the MXL 910 didn't support omni originally (the 910 is cardioid) I am guessing that I need to choose one of center post wires of the K47 to go to where the red wire was on the circuit (this will then become the rear), then I use one of the included wires to then screw that into the side of the K47 capsule and solder that to where the black wire was originally on the circuit. Is this correct?

Question 3) If I am only using one of the wires from the center mounted front/rear, do I leave the other wire screwed in, or do I remove it?

EDIT: I have 1 of the K47's from this group buy left that I don't seem to be using.  If anyone else can use it, I'd like $27 (plus shipping).

Maybe these could provide some ideas:
http://audioimprov.com/AudioImprov/Mics/Entries/2013/1/30_MXL_990_Capsule_Swap.html
http://audioimprov.com/AudioImprov/Mics/Entries/2013/2/4_MXL_990_Zener_Swap.html

And removing the unused-side wire would 1) lose the air-seal which may well lead to some wonky frequency response, 2) leave you with a hole in the middle of the diaphragm, 3) umm... Use your imagination ;D

In three words - don't do it :p

K1TTENM1TTEN said:
Hey there! Sorry for the three totally noob questions here, but I bought a bunch of these capsules back when the group buy happened. I have been sitting on them ever since due to my job making me hellaciously busy.

I have a MXL 910 I want to put one of the K47 capsules into, but I wasn't really sure how to go about it.

Question 1) The saddle that these came with don't really fit the MXL very well, so what should I do to get this saddle to mount?

Question 2) The K47 capsule we got has two wires coming off the center of the front and the back of the capsule. The original MXL capsule has a red wire coming off the center of the rear of the capsule, and a black wire coming off the side of the capsule. I am assuming these K47s are omni, however because the MXL 910 didn't support omni originally (the 910 is cardioid) I am guessing that I need to choose one of center post wires of the K47 to go to where the red wire was on the circuit (this will then become the rear), then I use one of the included wires to then screw that into the side of the K47 capsule and solder that to where the black wire was originally on the circuit. Is this correct?

Question 3) If I am only using one of the wires from the center mounted front/rear, do I leave the other wire screwed in, or do I remove it?

The side of the capsule (where the third wire goes) is the backplate connection.

You can either leave the spare diaphragm unconnected, or connect it to the same point on the board as the backplate wire.

MagnetoSound said:
Sure, by all means just leave it flapping about. But what is the objection?

In case  of factory mxl input wiring, if you would connect backside to ground you will get omni, if you would connect it to backplate, then you will divide polarisation voltage in a half, so the backside would be "active" in the circuit and it would also affect polar pattern.

ln76d said:
In case  of factory mxl input wiring, if you would connect backside to ground you will get omni

This would mean that, in this particular circuit, the backplate is polarised, the front diaphragm is at Ov and the signal is taken from the backplate via a cap.

if you would connect it to backplate, then you will divide polarisation voltage in a half, so the backside would be "active" in the circuit and it would also affect polar pattern.

No. The rear diaphragm forms a capacitor with the backplate. If you short both leads of a capacitor together, what happens? Nothing. There is no circuit because there is no capacitance, just a dead short.

It just means the backplate effectively has a bigger electronic surface area, but acoustically it has no effect as it is not facing the front diaphragm. It is just as if the rear diaphragm is not sputtered.

vinylwall said:
I have 3 of the K47's from this group buy that I don't seem to be using.  If anyone else can use them, I'd like $27 each (plus shipping).
If you still have 2 of these, message me. Thanks,
Art

MagnetoSound said:
This would mean that, in this particular circuit, the backplate is polarised, the front diaphragm is at Ov and the signal is taken from the backplate via a cap.

No. The rear diaphragm forms a capacitor with the backplate. If you short both leads of a capacitor together, what happens? Nothing. There is no circuit because there is no capacitance, just a dead short.

It just means the backplate effectively has a bigger electronic surface area, but acoustically it has no effect as it is not facing the front diaphragm. It is just as if the rear diaphragm is not sputtered.

You are right, i mixed two different topologies in my head, during writing. :D
I'm tired as hell.
Anyway, someday,  i will try connect that way to see is there everything as it should be ;)

Latest posts

Back