Feeler: Group buy of 3U SDC capsules all 3 patterns (mxl 603 body)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m in for a pair of hypercardiods.
I can't speak for these ones, but the CM100 hypercardioids were pretty good, I just preferred the sound of my MK-012s. The 3U capsules were a bit modern sounding I found, didn't really mix as well with other standard hypercardioids like the MKH 8050 or Schoeps MK41.

Anyway I can't commit to buying them right now, I'm moving at the end of the month, but I'll be more than happy to buy some of the hypercardioids off someone if they end up not using them all.

He ships with UPS so actually predicting that's hard because UPS charges you seemingly arbitrary amounts... Or maybe he'll declare the value low enough that it won't be an issue.
Thanks for info. Maybe he ships with UPS to you in Canada, but he recently proposed two options for me in USA, FedEx and SF Express.

I already have a pair of Cardioid's coming for my Bonsai km84's glad to see someone posted that they liked them!

Thanks for info. Maybe he ships with UPS to you in Canada, but he recently proposed two options for me in USA, FedEx and SF Express.
It's been a couple years since I've ordered anything from him, so maybe he started using FedEx since then. I'd absolutely recommend FedEx as I've never had a bad experience with them.

Recieved my cardioid 3u capsules and am happy so far. My quick non scientific analysis is they seem a little more present in the 1-5k range, with less dips than the Maiku's. I checked with a snare hit while having them at overhead height. They don't have as much 10k lift also. I would sometimes get spikey ride cymbal transients with that lift on the Maiku's.
Edit: I forgot to mention that they are about 3 db louder than the Maikus also.

Last edited:
Recieved my cardioid 3u capsules and am happy so far. My quick non scientific analysis is they seem a little more present in the 1-5k range, with less dips than the Maiku's. I checked with a snare hit while having them at overhead height. They don't have as much 10k lift also. I would sometimes get spikey ride cymbal transients with that lift on the Maiku's.
They're definitely advertised as being brighter than the CM100 capsules by 3U as well. For some people that might not matter. For people planning on recording vocals, it might if you prefer flatter sounding stuff like me, though I haven't actually tried the DIY mic 3U capsules yet (can't build, moving soon).

Anybody know of an SDC with separate low cut and pad (pref -10 and -20dB, though I'd settle for just -20) switches these capsules would fit?

They're definitely advertised as being brighter than the CM100 capsules by 3U as well. For some people that might not matter. For people planning on recording vocals, it might if you prefer flatter sounding stuff like me, though I haven't actually tried the DIY mic 3U capsules yet (can't build, moving soon).
The don’t seem harsh, just more forward in 1-5k range. Les s peaks and valleys in a spectrum analyzer.

cardioid CLOSED! omni and hypercardioid will stay available through weekend or thereabouts. once everything is closed I'll send a group DM for addresses and next steps, working on shipping/import options now...

I would like 4 to 6 cardioids.

I bought 3 matched pairs several months ago. As many have noticed, they make the Banzai kits sound great.
I only need 4 more cardioid, so if @klem was counting on me wanting 6 then there should be 2 more cardioids available for someone else.

I would like 1@ of omni and hypercardioid, if they are still open.

everyone who has ordered so far should have received a DM from me re: next steps. please check DMs and write me if you haven't received one, DMs full or typo...

hyperc and omni still available.
hypercard reached max discount assuming everyone follows through (30 capsules are ordered!)
4 more omnis will get us to the top discount level for this last pattern.

also, thanks to those with kind words, appreciation, etc. cheers!

email sent to all participants! as mentioned in DM, email will be main way of communicating given forum DM limitations, so after checking spam folder etc please let me know if it wasn't received.

I’ll take a cardioid. Oh I noticed it’s closed. What capsule would you suggest for recording acoustics mainly. Whatever that is I’ll take one.

sorry @Digitalunderdog but cardioid is indeed closed. however, hypercardioid and omni are still open as i have received orders for a total of 30 and 28 hypercardioid and omni capsules. (i'm buying unneeded extras to get us all the max discount.) point being, if a single person doesn't follow through on participation, it screws up the discount tier for everyone, and we'd have to figure out what our next steps would be (accept higher price, or refund, it all starts to become a royal PITA).

i'm surprised there isn't more interest in these capsules, given it's been the missing link in otherwise great mods for such a ubiquitous cheap mic body (MXL 603) - you've got a KM84 from @GraemeWoller or @Vac11 tube offering, or even breadboarded circuits like my pair of Royer cathode followers. I'm excited to hear how each circuit performs on various instruments, especially drums.

If you're asking me for recommendation on acoustic guitar(?), i'd recommend the hypercardioid over omni, but there are situations where omni may be more appropriate. i find the rejection inherent in non-omni patterns very useful even when recording the instrument solo. anyhow, just my 2 cents.

quick update: 80% have paid, and we are now secure in cardioid price (>30 capsules, $45/capsule).

the remaining 4 unpaid members will get us to 30 items on hypercardioid and omni capsules for max discount, provided all 4 come through.

bumping this thread for any additional HC or omni capsule interest as safety.

Yet another quick update: we are now down to 2 people that have yet to provide payment. Ironically, one of which recently told me I should "have a little patience," implying there is NO patience on my end OR anyone else who paid in the preceding few weeks. Suffice to say, I appreciate YOUR patience as we wait to place the order.

Hopefully payments will be received this upcoming week. If not, we'll have to discuss available options for those who have ordered hypercardioid and omni patterns.

sorry @Digitalunderdog but cardioid is indeed closed. however, hypercardioid and omni are still open as i have received orders for a total of 30 and 28 hypercardioid and omni capsules. (i'm buying unneeded extras to get us all the max discount.) point being, if a single person doesn't follow through on participation, it screws up the discount tier for everyone, and we'd have to figure out what our next steps would be (accept higher price, or refund, it all starts to become a royal PITA).

i'm surprised there isn't more interest in these capsules, given it's been the missing link in otherwise great mods for such a ubiquitous cheap mic body (MXL 603) - you've got a KM84 from @GraemeWoller or @Vac11 tube offering, or even breadboarded circuits like my pair of Royer cathode followers. I'm excited to hear how each circuit performs on various instruments, especially drums.

If you're asking me for recommendation on acoustic guitar(?), i'd recommend the hypercardioid over omni, but there are situations where omni may be more appropriate. i find the rejection inherent in non-omni patterns very useful even when recording the instrument solo. anyhow, just my 2 cents.
Thanks for the feedback and suggestion. I'll take an omni if still available? Sorry for the delay. I can't seem to message you, maybe you can msg me with details for payment etc. Thank you.

Last edited:
Back