Gefell MV691 /692 to XLR

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alhe

I have a couple older Gefells that I am thinking of converting to 48 volts and XLR, and I would very much like to hear your opinion on two things.

Originally these mics have 12v powering. So I would imagine they draw a bit of current to compensate for the low voltage. I read a post somewhere by Scott Dorsey, known for that whole Oktava modding thing, that the common phantom power conversions don't deliver enough current for the Gefell capsules. Thus, they don't perform to their full potential. Would this be true - and how does Microtech Gefell get around it?

Second, how would you go about fitting a xlr connector in place of the original 5 pin - Which is quite a bit larger. Gefell will change the entire housing. Has anyone found a DIY solution that don't require machining, or been able to buy this part directly from Gefell?

:)

Yes, Thiersch is very good and not expensive!

Otherwise:

Get a suitable male XLR connector, a hacksaw, a roundfile, some strong glue and elbow grease.

Remove the 7-pin connector, cut the cable end of the XLR off, file off enough from the endpiece to fit the XLR, glue it in place or drill a hole and fix it with a screw.

Attention! If you have a Gefell mic with a 6 pin connector then it's not a MV691/692 but a M582, a valve mic! (5 blade connector =  Gefell M92a = M582)

Circuit for 48->12 as attachment.

Attachments

• mv692_P48.jpg
    mv692_P48.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 40
I had send mine to Gefell to do the job, included a capsual cleaning.
Great support of Gefell, I had some phone calls with the Tec working on my mic.

Not a really cheap way but a save one.

ROCK-ON!

A bit late, I know, but thanks for the schematic and comments. I'll have a go at that voltage regulator.

So that's just a 12 V zener and a npn?

Latest posts

Back