Getting more comfortable with circuitry know-how?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosestudios

Hey all,

I've built some small audio circuits, a MIDI controller based on a chinese instrument design, a basic discrete preamp, and a DIY 1176 and GSSL based on kits with supplied instructions and parts.  I peruse this forum a lot and find a good amount of information tough to digest and understand in terms of application, although I recognize a lot of the language and contexts.  I took 3 semesters of audio circuitry classes with Saul Walker while at NYU, which was a blast but still tough to absorb at the same, although great for placing some sort of foundation for me.

My question is this: how would you recommend I go about expanding my skillset in terms of specifically implementing clone designs and even designing some small audio circuits myself?  I mostly have trouble with approaching a power supply design as of now.  Do you think reading material is best?  Are there some projects I should explore to get my feet wet?  I'm better at experiential learning but I don't mind reading through material.  I basically want to get comfortable with getting a pcb and maybe even a schematic or BOM and then going about understanding enclosures and wiring once the pcb is stuffed sans instructions.  Also understanding how to mod to replace components a little more readily.  I know most of this goes back to basic math and ohm's law and such, but I guess I'm looking for a good way to either expand my knowledge of employing these formulas or at least getting more comfortable with understanding and designing audio circuits.  I've got basics like I can read my resistor color codes and work an iron but I guess approaching more of the theory and implementation, as of now I can simply receive and analyze.

I'd greatly appreciate any direction referred to me, whether it be build this or try this or read this.  I'm young in my early 20's and really want to become comfortable with audio circuitry, I run my own recording studio but I'd like to be more of an engineer than a producer within my space. 

Thank you!

Not sure if i really want replying to your 13 post... Build as much stuff as you can and maybe start understanding power supplies, later circuits, try to avoid kits or pcbs when possible. Seems like everyone this days starts building demanding circuits without understanding even Ohm's law. Reading is good too, you will know what's needed by building on veroboard, point to point, i don't think kits or pcbs will help you start understanding what you are doing nearly as much.

Go out and BUY a copy of "The Art of Electronics" - Horowitz & Hill.  it will take you from Ohms Law and you will still be referring to it when you are a Guru in your old age.

It's a very practical book and it explains the short cuts that real engineers use to see if they are barking up the wrong tree.

There's nothing wrong with building kits as long as you try to understand what the circuit(s) is (are) doing.  TAOE will be a real help but you need to work at it.

I think you are going about things the right way so keep up the good work.

Thumb through this list if you haven't already...  +1 for the Art of Electronics. I also HIGHLY recommend anything by Forrest Mims
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=8785.msg104942#msg104942

I like to have an intuitive understanding of things. This is of course difficult with something you can't directly see or hear and definitely shouldn't touch. It's useful to be able to play with changes and see what happens. This can be done on breadboard, but lately I've been loving the online simulators. Check out circuit lab and do circuits.

Do what I did:
First go to pcb grinder via the white market.
Find the link that says "just the pcb"
Behold the plethora of pcbs.
Now click: "add to cart"
"add to cart"
"add to cart"
"add to cart"
Now wait impatiently for the boards you purchased to come in the mail.
Bother Gustav with emails that you're worried they got lost or something.
While waiting try to find some information on how to build the items you just bought.
Download and print all relevant information. 
Don't forget to print the schematics even though they may look like hieroglyphics (they will make sense later- kinda like those magic eye pictures.)  Read TOAE and the "rean papers" which will both also look less like Greek after awhile.
Pick one of the boards/projects you think would be good to start with. Bother Gustav again via email. Emphasize your concerns with a slight edge of panic.
Start collecting parts for the project via mouser, digikey, ebay, etc...
Kiss the postal worker when your package finally arrives.
If your not used to it, waiting 1-2 weeks will have felt like a month or two so drink some water.
Lay out your new bounty of pcb's, literature, tools, print outs, and components before you.
Return here.  ;)

Latest posts

Back