[GROUP BUY] G9 in 51X format (CLOSED, ALL STOCK GONE)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to hear about all the life , at the very least I'll buy a pair just to get money flowing to you ,
you should make something for your efforts ,  and as a pre-order not be out the initial cost .

Testing has gone well, making some final changes and triple checking the layout for any minor mistakes. I'll post some sound samples later, this thing is pretty clean. After swapping out a couple sets of used RCA 12au7's, I found a pair that are pretty quiet and not too microphonic. I now see why this preamp is a go-to workhorse.

Anyway, here's the big list. I'll send out a mass PM to get a final head count. Please PM or reply here if you need to change or remove your order.

bkbirge - 4
deuc224 - 2
kepeb - 2
Niketouille - 2
spase - 2
jandoste - 2
Mike D - 2
baadc0de - 2
earl - 2
michal_k - 1
ericjazz - 1
winetree - 4
pacemaker - 2
Albrebreton - 2
JamesW - 2
benlindell - 2
wowi - 2
okgb - 2
Brolik - 2
bruno2000 - 2
zayance - 2
funkymonksf - 2
1sound - 4
barney - 2
kramerb1 - 2
sirzodiac - 2
Kevin - 2
dmp - 2
mitsos - 1(2?)
Kurtsa - 2
tonycamp - 1
freestylemovement - 2 (4?)
Pliplo - 2
chris1986 - 2

OH...price. 18USD each, shipped in the USA. If you're buying 4 or more boards, things start getting heavy, so maybe throw a couple extra bones in, if you can.
International guys (there are a lot of you, it seems) you are going to need to chip in a bit for shipping. Since it varies to widely, I would like to just set it at 4USD per package for up to 4 boards. This should cover everyone along with the likely medical bills I will incur after hours of filling out customs forms at the post office.

If you are ready to pre-order, please send payment to my registered email address (check my profile) and in the notes please include your forum name and how many you're ordering. Please include proper shipping as stated above, and if you're exchanging currency, please include an additional 3.5% for paypal fees.

Example: 2 PCB sets sent to germany - send 41.40USD. That's 36USD + 4USD for shipping + 3.5%
Example 2: 4 PCB sets sent to Kansas - send 72USD

That's all folks.

I'll try to get pics up before I skip town for the holiday.

For those of you who have been asking, my email is roddycluff A_T hotmail...

Some have been asking about metal work. I hadn't planned on taking up the task of producing (or having a shop produce) metal kits, but I imagine it would be quite expensive, given the small quantity. Also, shipping becomes more expensive, etc. I'd be glad to design a drill template/FPE layout so you can order from shaffer or FPE, but I myself had planned on using Jeff's blank bracket and face plate from classicAPI. It may be worth looking into if there's enough interest, but so far it seems only a small handful would require the metal be done professionally.

paid for 6, forgot to put my username but it's the same on paypal as here

as far as faceplates go I'd be into them, or at least an FPE template to order from. I don't have a drill press so blank plates would look pretty ghetto if I drilled them

You're all good to go, bkbirge. Thank you!

Some pics: Please note, prototyping sometimes isn't pretty, these boards have been work beyond anything I thought they could handle.

Credit goes to Zayance for his handywork, he did the copper etching for me, since my setup wasn't up to the task.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Note that the layout and lead spacing for all the poly caps is meant for WIMAs, but I had already ordered these for another build, so in they went.

I'm still getting a bit more hiss than I'd like, so I need to disassemble and clean the boards really well, now that the soldering iron has been unplugged. After this weekend, I will do that and try to get up some good audio clips.

looking good Rodney, ill be in for 2, instead of the 1 I listed earlier in the thread. I'll try to get my payment in early next week :)

Sounds good, Tony.

Alright, happy thanksgiving everyone! I'll be out for the rest of the weekend, probably be back at it on Sunday.

Really nice work ! i'm sure the Roll's guy will be jealous when he see's this , there aren't many
500 tube modules  , I'll take two to support the cause [ and not be left behind ]

ANY metal work or parts AND face plates , always helps to insure successful completion on my part
stuff sits around when I can't co-ordinate ordering , thanks in advance .

Looks great, Rodney, I would like to confirm the two units, but I can't see your registered email address (in your my profile) to make the payment  :-[. Can you send it?.
Thanks for all your work and best regards.
Alberto

Thanks to everyone who's paid so far. We're only a little more than half way through the list, it is a holiday weekend, afterall. Many of us have been away or spending time with family. We'll see how the next few days go, but I think I'll wait until next monday to order, and send out reminders to those that have not confirmed.

I've been spending all weekend (since friday morning actually) replacing the rotten fence on one side of my lot. It's been a muddy, rainy mess, so it's taken almost all my free time (and 5 people working on it). So hopefully I'll be able to get to metal work sometime this week. I did a simple FPD layout, which I've attached to this post. The drill locations are accurate, as best I can tell, but it IS NOT CONFIRMED. So please, maybe wait until I have time to make a prototype.

****The attached FPD file has been renamed to .PFD to allow attachment, please rename it to .FPD to open in Front Panel Designer.*****

[UPDATED FPD FILE TO REV 1.1]

Attachments

• g9-51x-FPD-rev1-1.pdf
    1.6 KB · Views: 86
Dig it Rodney, you should make the 51X, look like 5lX, so it will look like    GlX        5lX    :eek:? lose the little nubbin on the 1....tricky i say;)

sweet!

Back