GSSL add-on help thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got my relays for SSC.
They were accidentally ordered in a miniature size.
Can they still be used if I extend the pin legs? Or should I reorder a full size?

EDIT: Do not use this relay for SSC. It's wired in a wrong order for SSC.
Relay.jpg

Last edited:
I would order the proper size relays.
The ones I got were OMRON G5V-2-H1-DC24
I haven't used them yet, so I'm not sure they're the right ones (but they should be).

Okay, but are you sure that the one i have won’t work? All the specs are correct, excepts the physical size.

Ordering 2 components from Mouser, I will end up paying 5 times the price for shipping alone

As long as you hit a certain threshold (around 50 Euro) you get free shipping from Mouser.
My strategy is to gradually fill my cart until I have a enough items to quality for free shipping.

Yes I know. I just ordered for more than €160 when I ordered parts for Turbo and 2xSSC last week 😫 I don’t need anything else from Mouser now, until next unknown project.

So, will it work or do you just prefer to get the bigger size? 😁
Look, they're almost identical.. nowhere does it state its physical size, unless you read their datasheet.

Attachments

• Relay compare.png
    Relay compare.png
    275.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm pretty sure your mini relays will work.
If the legs are long enough (which they probably aren't) you can bend them to fit.
Or like you said, it's possible to extend the legs.

made this little helper for the multi simple hpf in the sidechain if anyone needs heres the info. board will fit the 1HE front panel and the footprint fits the standard Lorlin 6x2 Rotary SW and wima caps (5mm).
I have a few boards if you need get in touch. if you want to get your hands dirty etch your own - file attached.

HPF .jpg
gssl_sidechain_HPF.jpg

Attachments

• CC Gssl HPF BOARD etch.jpg
    CC Gssl HPF BOARD etch.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
made this little helper for the multi simple hpf in the sidechain if anyone needs heres the info. board will fit the 1HE front panel and the footprint fits the standard Lorlin 6x2 Rotary SW and wima caps (5mm).
I have a few boards if you need get in touch. if you want to get your hands dirty etch your own - file attached.

View attachment 108459
View attachment 108458

This guy deserves to be among the 2023 winners of the:
"Gdiy Audio Award" Premium !!!
For :
His willingness and generosity in donating :
help , and documentation,
useful in helping those in need,
and the clarity of them making them easy to understand !

And for the umpteenth time :
1 Picture say what billions words cannot !!!

Turbo VCA
Is it important that the VCA on the Turbo board is the exact same model like the one on the mainPCB sidechain?

The VCA on my sidechain is: THAT2180B
The VCA on Turbo is: THAT2180C

I do have two spare THAT2180B lying around, should I change the Turbo VCA to that, or it's not important?

The VCA on the Turbo board is 'only' for signal detection., so it should work. However, I'd probably keep it symmetric and use the two 2180. Also better check with Matt Fisher's VCA implementation list (search forum for it) and with THAT's VCA datasheet what to do with the 10k resistor.

Thanks.. ive looked at those data sheets, couldn't make sense of them. The information is spread out, nothing is carved into stone.

My Turbo is working alright, thats not what I was concern about. My concern was lying in how accurate it is performing being that I have 2 different models of THAT2180.
They're both 2180 as I mentioned. Sidechain is B and Turbo is C.
Should they be exact same or no?

I am only talking about the one VCA on my sidechain. Just so that we're clear.

The other two VCA on L&R, I'm using 202C gold cans.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 01.49.07.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-01 at 01.49.07.png
    622.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Is it important or not, for them to match? (Side chain VCA & Turbo VCA)
The difference between THAT2180 Type B and C is max.THD 0.02% vs. 0.05%. I wouldn't care for these worst case -66dB vs. -74dB control voltage (not audio) differences when parts tolerances between resistors and capacitors are much higher. As always YMMV.
Keep both +/-12VDC supplied sidechain-VCA current setting resistors connecting to VCA-pin 5 (both should be 3K9 on GSSL and Turbo board) the same.

I built a GSSL and got it all working without any mods and then tried to add a SSC board but have not been successful with it.

I believe I have wired it up correctly to the main board and switch but no audio passes through it now I just get noise whether it's in bypass or switched in. When I switch the the compressor in the make up gain pot works but it just brings up the noise.

I've read through this thread but can't find anything to help so far, does anyone have any ideas what might be wring or suggestions of where I should start to test?

Attachments

• IMG_9603 Large.jpeg
    IMG_9603 Large.jpeg
    470.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_9604 Large.jpeg
    IMG_9604 Large.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 1
Something might have gone wrong to your main-pcb during the add-on installations.
Only thing left to do, is to remove the add-ons and test your default unit again.

+1
Disconnect (or cut in middle) the three blue wires connecting to the 47K pads.
Put the two 47Ks onto the wires.
(Can easily reconnect wires later)

Did you check voltages on the boards (IC pins) before powering up with any IC inserted anywhere?

+1
Disconnect (or cut in middle) the three blue wires connecting to the 47K pads.
Put the two 47Ks onto the wires.
(Can easily reconnect wires later)
Do you mean disconnect the L, R and return wires to the SSC and put a couple of 47k's back into the main board?

Did you check voltages on the boards (IC pins) before powering up with any IC inserted anywhere?
All voltages were correct on the main board, I didn't check the voltages on the SSC board.

Yes. The ones that you labelled L, R, Ret. Or reinsert 47K's on PCB to test.

Either way, need to confirm the comp without SC board functions correctly and that all voltages are OK also on the SC board.

Another source of dysfunction you need to consider next is the bypass switch wiring (black wires) and/or the hookup of the switch you used. Other users reported problems with their switch wiring.

Yes. The ones that you labelled L, R, Ret. Or reinsert 47K's on PCB to test.

Either way, need to confirm the comp without SC board functions correctly and that all voltages are OK also on the SC board.

Another source of dysfunction you need to consider next is the bypass switch wiring (black wires) and/or the hookup of the switch you used. Other users reported problems with their switch wiring.
I've just swapped out the L, R and return for 47k's and still the same issue.

so looks like Im going to have to strip it back and get it working without the SSC first.

Attachments

• IMG_9645 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_9645 Medium.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 1
Back