Hairball 1176 -20db pad needed?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janalex

Hey all

I have 2 hairballs, an A and a D. I have read several posts in other forums that an inline 20 db pad helps the hairballs respond more similar to the original units. Is there a truth to this? Does the input section vary that much?

suspect. the setting of the input pot should do the job, unless it's about the semantics of exactly where the knob position sits, which really has nothing to do with anything other than eyeballs.

Both the A and D versions are accurate representations of what the 1176 was supposed to be (insert endless conversations regarding wide component tolerances and what is a "real" anything vintage). This applies to the A version. If you read the thread for the Rev A build, you will find posts regarding how the compression kicks in very quickly, but this is how the original version operated. There is a resistor change that can be made to make compression threshold similar to the Rev D on that same thread. You'll have to do some investigating as I don't remember the details.

As for needing a 20dB pad for the Rev D, that is silly talk. More than likely such a discussion arises because all the kids on all the other forums gain stage everything to +18dBu (maximum output on most all converters) and when this circuit was first built +4dBu was generally the target on tape machines. A 20dB pad on a super hot signal would accomplish "response more similar to original units."

Since you have both a Rev A and D Hairball unit, what do you think when you use them? I think they sound awesome. If you are of the same opinion, are you concerned about how original units sounded? I ask this with all sincerity.

Thanks!

Paul

Last edited:
Back