help appriciated designing correction filter for speakers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
erik, are you going to have a look at the frequency of the Passive Radiator in your small box?  I'm a bit concerned that even PRR's boost may be too much for this small unit.

Hi Ricardo

Tnx for reminding. Does this picture help you in that aspect?

24o0m08.jpg

erikb1971 said:
Does this picture help you in that aspect?
http://i41.tinypic.com/24o0m08.jpg
These response curves are suspect especially at LF where the S/N is very poor.

Can you do an impedance curve?  Use RMAA and this simple circuit.  Sweep from 20Hz to 2kHz and check that neither the power amplifier or your soundcard input is overloading.  Do this in a quiet room with the speaker on a cushion as the speaker will act as a sensitive microphone.

Or if you have a calibrated oscillator, you can just look carefully at the movement of the Passive Radiator and the A3 unit.  The frequency you want is where the Passive Radiator moves the most and the A3 moves the least.  It will be quite a distinct frequency.

Attachments

• impedanceMeasure.GIF
    impedanceMeasure.GIF
    3.4 KB · Views: 6
Erik,

Before you go the hi-tech route, try a 7.7mH air coil, with parallel 6.8 resistor, in series with the speaker.  I calculated that on a 6 ohm speaker and 140 Hz and it should arrive at a 6db bass boost. There is a wealth of knowledge on series crossovers on the net and this coil idea is to compensate for the loss of bass due to the baffle width effect. ( Middle and treble is direct to your ears, bass goes everywhere).  Its worth a read even if you don't go that route.  I use series crossovers on my monitors and home hi-fi.

Use heavy gauge enamelled wire wound on a bit of broomhandle with sides!  I would sooner put my sound through copper than silicon. 

best
DaveP

erikb1971 said:
I do not really get what you mean... but I did the visual test and to me it seems it is 34 Hz...
OK.  PRR's electronic filter is safe if your Passive Radiator is tuned to 34Hz.  It's worth confirming with an Impedance Plot sometime.  It only needs a 1k resistor and RMAA.

However, the Passive Radiator is not giving you any benefit.  On your next iteration, if you use the same size box, try leaving it out; ie use a simple sealed box.

DaveP, have you worked out the size of that 7.7mH coil?  It is huge.  About 3 lbs of copper.  And it doesn't give the LF filter protection that PRR's evil electronic filter gives.  IMHO, it's essential for this tiny unit.

Yeah, I know it takes a while to wind them.

I've made about 10 similar coils over the years, but they are distortion free!

best
DaveP

Back