how do you integrate your bunch of DIY HW in your setup?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im using a protools native setup with a 16x16 IO (analog) Basically that feeds a patchbay (all 16 i/o's) and I just patch my analog gear into it as needed.  In PT you can set the hardware as you'd set a plugin (instead of choosing a plugin you choose a pair of I/O's)  the downside is that you can't go out of #4 and come back in on #16 if you wanted to, you HAVE to use#4 out and #4 in, which isn't that big of a deal (and if you absolutly HAD to do some routing like 4 out 16 in you could using aux channels, but i'd rather not deal with it)  the nice thing about PT10 (i think 9 has it too) is that theres automatic delay compensation which keeps everything together.

[flame]

oooo looks like there's oemthing Logic Does that protools doesn't!

I/O Plugin lets you choose which output to use, and which input, and then the Ping button calculates for Delay and compensates accordingly :-D

[/flame]

As i said, it CAN be done, just not as straight forward as using a matched pair... oh... and NO ping... does it without manual intervention.  Wanna talk signal routing tough guy?  Have fun bussing your soft syths out...

bussing my softsynths out?  like, multi-out plugins?  or what?  cuz that's easy too.  just instantiate them as a multi-out plugin, then in the mixer, click the little + that shows up in the corner of the channelstrip for that instrument. Aux channels already assigned to the multi-outs are automatically created.  you simple go into the plugin and select which output a specific patch will use.  except for Kontakt.  Kontakt is horrible with multi-out, because kontakt defaults to a stereo 1-2 and then 3-8 are a 5.1surround, which is really hard to remove/delete/reassign.  Superior Drummer, Stylus, Omnisphere, however... those are easy breezy!

I have my diy each built with relay bypass and connected in 'channel strip' combinations of pre-eq-comp.
Each of the pres has mic/line/DI inputs, so I can send a daw output to each pre in the 'channel strip' combos.

When the units in each combo are not switched on, they are relay bypassed.
They can also be relay bypassed when powered on with the front panel switch.

That way I can reach each pre/eq/comp in the 'channel strip' or not, with the daw feed.

I also mult the outputs of the 'channel strip' combo on a patch bay.

One mult send goes the daw inputs and the other to an analog sum bus.
So I have a direct daw recording input and also the sum monitor mix  - no latency and very nice sound.

At the momemnt, I am doing ITB mixing of daw tracks and send that also to my analog sum box.

Soon I'll have a dedicated analog sum box for the daw tracks from the remaining motu outs.
It will be the 'master' analog sum box and will receive from the monitor sum box.

If I have complex headphone monitoring required, I supplement the basic monitor mix with motu cuemix.
But it doesn't happen often.

It all works out to be quite flexible without any patching or undue software complication.

My daw, cubase 5 allows me to do the latency compnsated send/return for recorded tracks if I want to send things to the analog for treatment.

I can also do automation on the return signal - for the case where one wants level automation without changing the level of the send signal.

My only gripe is that cubase 5 requires redefinition of the required inputs/outputs for the send/return usage each time. You can't save them. Maybe that's better handled in current versions.

Works great and I prefer it to the more traditional mixer integration as it is less signal path, less knobs/faders and less power consumption ( I only need to power up what I am using).

Cheers

Back