How much electrical engineering knowledge is needed to start?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSpeckySegg

Hello, my name is Heydon. I've worked on trucks and what not for years, my knowledge of how their DC electrical systems work is workable enough to diagnose and fix issues. That said, making my own circuits and designing PCB seems daunting. How much electrical engineering do I need to learn to be best equipped to do well with this venture?

Thank you so much!

Heydon

making my own circuits and designing PCB seems daunting

It can be. The usual path would be to start building from a design which someone else created, and also review as many existing schematics as you can to get an idea of the different possible variations.

I would always recommend starting with a good grasp of fundamentals of technician work, i.e. soldering, unsoldering, proper ESD (static electricity) control so that you do not damage components, measurement techniques for voltage and current, etc.
I would also recommend not skimping on tools. I assume you have had experience where poor quality mechanical tools can make your life miserable, and poor soldering tools are the same way for electronic work. Fortunately good quality soldering gear is quite a bit less expensive than it was a couple of decades ago.

All my technician (and engineering) books are from decades ago, so I don't know what would be a current good reference, but at least in the past books made for technicians covered the basics of device operation so you could effectively troubleshoot a previously working design, and engineering books went a little lower level and more details so you had some additional information for designing from scratch. I do see that "Electronic Principles" by Malvino that I used years and years ago (in first level technician class) is still available as a 9th edition now.

One good book which straddles the line between theory and practical design advice is "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. It is a bit large and expensive, and can be a bit overwhelming to start with, so probably not the first book to start with, more a second or third level book when you want to go a bit deeper.

Have you found the "Analog Theory and Design reference books" thread in the Drawing Board forum yet?
reference books sticky thread

It can be. The usual path would be to start building from a design which someone else created, and also review as many existing schematics as you can to get an idea of the different possible variations.

I would always recommend starting with a good grasp of fundamentals of technician work, i.e. soldering, unsoldering, proper ESD (static electricity) control so that you do not damage components, measurement techniques for voltage and current, etc.
I would also recommend not skimping on tools. I assume you have had experience where poor quality mechanical tools can make your life miserable, and poor soldering tools are the same way for electronic work. Fortunately good quality soldering gear is quite a bit less expensive than it was a couple of decades ago.

All my technician (and engineering) books are from decades ago, so I don't know what would be a current good reference, but at least in the past books made for technicians covered the basics of device operation so you could effectively troubleshoot a previously working design, and engineering books went a little lower level and more details so you had some additional information for designing from scratch. I do see that "Electronic Principles" by Malvino that I used years and years ago (in first level technician class) is still available as a 9th edition now.

One good book which straddles the line between theory and practical design advice is "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. It is a bit large and expensive, and can be a bit overwhelming to start with, so probably not the first book to start with, more a second or third level book when you want to go a bit deeper.

Have you found the "Analog Theory and Design reference books" thread in the Drawing Board forum yet?
reference books sticky thread
I'll check that thread out! I have great tools and a great workshop. I make all my own cables in my studio, I buy broken snakes and repair them and what not. Soldering isn't the problem!

I appreciate the advice, I'm going to dig deep, thinking about starting with a tube DI. I need a better bass solution aha

Latest posts

Back