Is a buffer circuit needed for a Sifam R32AF?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stringmike

Hi. First time poster and fairly newbie here...! I am refurbishing a Focusrite Blue VU meter panel, meaning I have only the panel and the VUs, with illumination kits. Can they be run directly from an audio signal, or how do they work? Link is here http://www.canford.co.uk/SIFAM-VU-METERS

You could hang this this meter across the output of something, normally with a 3k6 resistor in series, which is what many pièces of gear do eg 1176.  However, probably the best way to do it is with a buffer circuit which can be as simple as a single op amp.  VU meters can make outputs noisy because they have a diode bridge in them which adds switching noise as they turn on and off. 

I built a LA-4 some time ago (my second build ever) which adds distorsion when meter is set to Output, nothing ugly, even usable sometimes, mainly 1st harmonic...

Anyway, if I build it again I would put a buffer for the meter...

They can run directly from an audio signal, usually via a 3.6K resistor. This is exactly how VU meters were originally intended to be used.. However, because of the diode bridge inside them, they can add distortion to the signal. How much distortion depends on the output impedance of the amplifier they are connected to. A little while go I did some tests on theEZTubeMixer transformer balanced outputs which have an output impedance of about 150 ohms. At 0VU, the distortion added by the VU meter is far in excess of the the distortion produced by the amplifier. Modern op amps have very low output impedances so the amount of distortion produced could be very small. However, many op amp outputs have series padding resistors in their outputs, typically around 47 ohms so these will also see significant diatortion produced by a directly connected VU meter.

Bottom line, for minimum distortion use a buffer. At Neve, back in the 70s, we used a lot of VU meters connected directly across the outputs.  When testing for distortion, the procedure always insisted any VU meters were switched away from the outout being tested.

Cheers

Ian

Latest posts

Back