JENSAMP-51X (Germanium Mic-Pre by Darius Kubarth)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pulsating?
oscillation?
at all gain settings?
instrument input too?
with input shorted?
power supply overloaded?
maybe scope rails

Built a pair 2-3 weeks ago, have the same problem with both of them. Oscillation starts with gain setting  at 3 o'clock or higher. Haven't had the time to further investigate that problem...
They work fine and sound great with lower gain setting, DI inputs work great too.

Best regards,
Mathias

Hi everyone,
same Problem here. Bought a pair, built one, but didn't have time to troubleshoot since. Wasn't some calibration necessary on these? (like I remember a variable resistor, or am I wrong?)
Kind regards, Kvothe

kvothe said:
Hi everyone,
same Problem here. Bought a pair, built one, but didn't have time to troubleshoot since. Wasn't some calibration necessary on these? (like I remember a variable resistor, or am I wrong?)
Kind regards, Kvothe

My kits came with a 1k trimmer insted of a 470R resistor for R6. That's the only calibration you need.
Since trimmers are usually set half way (mine was, I checked) you're probably pretty close even if you don't trim.
The calibration is to get 4.5dB of gain in the lowest gainposition without transformers.

Still haven't got the time to troubleshoot mine yet...

Best
//M

Yes, I even made sure they were mounted with a space between them and the board.
No difference as far as the posted problems. I've just given up on them.
Buried in to much going on now, but at some point I'll take another shot at them.

I am surprised that there are so many folks with that problem too.

Did anyone change the ASY for a BC560 on a faulty unit?
Can't try it myself as my Jensamp is at Kubi's place.

Best,
Carsten

I changed the germanium transistor once before with no luck.

Just asked because I thought of a GE-related part variance.
Maybe silicone transistors with a why hfe won't oscillate...

Carsten

Yeah, changing the ASY26 didn't change a bit...
Haven't got any 560 laying around right now. Still puzzled with this. I'm absolutely sure everything is in it's correct position, reflowed every solder joint, and checked the Grayhill switched. The sound in the first couple of gain steps as awesome though :). I'm curios as to what Kubi might find out!

Has anybody with the pulsating inferno come up with a solution?
Mine sounds like the soundclip a page back  :mad:
Maybe I should just go over the entire board and ad some solder at every pad???

Cheers
//Magnus

Unfortunately, I couldn't send the BC560s to Tom before yesterday.
If we are lucky, he will receive them tomorrow and have a try.

If somebody has got a faulty and a functional unit, it would be
much appreciated to swap some parts like the ASY...

Carsten

Ok, so I got the BC560's who Carsten so kindly sent to me. Result: Now all the gain settings either give a load of white noise or have the exact same ticking/oscillating noise. So none of the gain steps actually work...
I'm pretty much at a dead end here...seems this rev.04 just isn't working. To put that into a question: does anyone here (Volker?) have a working rev.04? If so, would it be possible to post some measurements on this thread so we can compare our units?

Latest posts

Back