k47 Dachman Audio Capsule tension

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maosante

Hey guys, I bought a K47 capsule from dachman audio a few years ago to mod a rode NT1a, unfortunately, at that time, I didn't know that the capsule's center screw tension was calibrated, when mounting it I removed the screws, solder it and the re-mounted the screw. 🤦‍♂️

The question is, ¿can you calibrate the tension of that screw with no professional equipment?

I tried to calibrate it by listening tests. But this is very subjective. Even though, low tension would result in resonance on the highs and a muddy low end. Very tight would sound very defined, highs would sound punctuating, not that much articulated, and low end would have lower volume. Medium - tight tension of the screw would result in a nice sounding mic but I think its not enough and of course a very subjective perception. So I would like to hear some advices from you.

Hey guys, I bought a K47 capsule from dachman audio a few years ago to mod a rode NT1a, unfortunately, at that time, I didn't know that the capsule's center screw tension was calibrated, when mounting it I removed the screws, solder it and the re-mounted the screw. 🤦‍♂️

The question is, ¿can you calibrate the tension of that screw with no professional equipment?

I tried to calibrate it by listening tests. But this is very subjective. Even though, low tension would result in resonance on the highs and a muddy low end. Very tight would sound very defined, highs would sound punctuating, not that much articulated, and low end would have lower volume. Medium - tight tension of the screw would result in a nice sounding mic but I think its not enough and of course a very subjective perception. So I would like to hear some advices from you.
Sorry friend, you fell for disinformation started by Klauss Heyne. Center screw doesn't change diaphragm tension. You won't change anything by doing this besides potentially ruining the capsule. Even if it were true, you can't do it by ear, you need measurement setup. Diaphragm tension needs to change significantly to achieve the effect you are talking about. Spacer and shim under the screw prevent tightening/loosening affect the tension. That's what they are there for.

Sorry friend, you fell for disinformation started by Klauss Heyne. Center screw doesn't change diaphragm tension. You won't change anything by doing this besides potentially ruining the capsule. Even if it were true, you can't do it by ear, you need measurement setup. Diaphragm tension needs to change significantly to achieve the effect you are talking about. Spacer and shim under the screw prevent tightening/loosening affect the tension. That's what they are there for.
Thanks for your response. I've seen people apply some kind of "red glue" to this part. What is it for? Mine didn't came with it. Is it useful for any sound or conductivity purpose?

Thanks for your response. I've seen people apply some kind of "red glue" to this part. What is it for? Mine didn't came with it. Is it useful for any sound or conductivity purpose?
Just additional safety measure so that screws don't come loose. Idk how necessary it is.

Just additional safety measure so that screws don't come loose. Idk how necessary it is.
Iirc, Neumann capsules where only the diaphragms are charged have dots to keep the screws in place, but capsules where the back plate is occasionally charged have a more excessive layer of conformal coating to keep the screws from attracting dust, as well as tape covering the exposed plate on the sides.

Back