Looking for interesting capsule for Oktava MK219 mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First real post on this forum, wanted some advice/opinions for an upcoming project.

I have an Oktava MK219 that has a capsule that's totally shot (quite a bit of material missing). The circuitry appears to be in fine shape, and whoever owned this before me clearly attempted some modifications. The grill is cut out and some poorly mounted mesh has been put in its place, which I will be redoing.

I'm considering a few capsules for this project, with the Arienne Audio Flat K47 being the one most interesting to me. I'd also be interested in trying out some sort of CK12 inspired capsule as I currently don't have anything with that voicing flavor in my studio currently. I'm less interested in having a pure clone, and more interested in trying out something that would provide an interesting flavor for the studio. If I like the results well enough, I have another Oktava MK219 I can modify.

I would love some opinions or ideas for what to throw in as an interesting experiment. I'll be sure to post audio examples of whatever capsule I put in here after the job is done :)

Last edited:
'Twer I, I'd look for a 219 with defective electronics and use it's capsule - the 219/319 capsules are quite good. Some prefer the sound with the diffraction discs removed; some prefer them left in place.

'Twer I, I'd look for a 219 with defective electronics and use it's capsule - the 219/319 capsules are quite good. Some prefer the sound with the diffraction discs removed; some prefer them left in place.
A nice capsule indeed. I actually own four 219s (3 functioning, and one broken). I somehow keep acquiring more over time through trades or low cost purchases. I have two of the older silver body ones and the other two are the newer black body models.

I wonder if there are notable differences between the two different revisions capsule-wise. The silver bodied ones seem much more robustly built (no body ring, more solid) but not sure about internals. They sound pretty similar to me. The silver sound smoother to my ears, but it could be due to lack of body ring or placebo for that matter.

I haven't tried removing the diffraction disc yet, but I'm sure I'll get around to that on a working one soon to compare.

So as an update, I got a flat k47 capsule in from Arienne Audio. I also created a new grille with my friend as the one that was in there was pretty gross. I've included a few pictures and an informal audio test. The other mic I tested it with is a CAD e100s to give a frame of reference for the difference between this capsule and a Transound TSB-2555B which is what I believe the e100s has. The audio has been roughly level matched.

This was my first electrical microphone modification ever, and it was a good refresher to get back into soldering.

Major thanks to sililoqueen for the Flat K47 capsule. Truly outstanding sounding capsule, and great to speak with. Already looking forward to future projects using her capsules!

Click here for a link to the audio test

Attachments

• FlatK47Installed.jpg
    FlatK47Installed.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 0
  • GrilleMeshComparison.jpg
    GrilleMeshComparison.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 0
  • NewGrilleMesh.jpg
    NewGrilleMesh.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 0
  • OldDamagedCapsule.jpg