la2a - oh gawd!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the short story is that Dave P fixed it - and what a lovely, charming and thoughtful guy he is.

I won't bore you with the whole saga, except to say that my technician had it for six weeks of head scratching.  He fitted a new T4 opto cell but still couldn't get it to compress.

So I met Dave P at a service station near Bicester on a cold and wet Sunday evening and handed over my rather sorry La2a.  By Wednesday it was fixed and delivered virtually to my door.  Astonishing to say the least.

Turns out that although the build was superbly done and the components all good, the builder had miswired two connections, so it could never have worked when they shipped it - despite assurances that it had been fully tested before despatch.  (coughs).

So Dave P checked out the whole build, all voltages and connections and got it going.  It needs a little tweaking; there's a little more noise that I can live with.  I suspect the tubes supplied are not all that and the original builder used carbon film resistors which Dave suggested might cause a little extra noise.  The gain structure is also a little mad, but we're sorting that between us too.

All in all, I just wanted to post a great big public thank you and a hearty recommendation for the services of Dave Pendrill.  Not only is he one of the most knowledgable guys I've ever met in pro-audio, he is also one of the nicest.  One of nature's gentlemen!

Thanks again Dave and to everyone who pitched in with ideas.

Happy Christmas to all!

All's well that end's well!

Surprised that there was a construction error - not surprised Dave P fixed it!

Anyone who can build and explain some of the things Dave has on these forums
is well placed to figure out these kinds of things.

Good Xmas cheer and karma all round!

Latest posts

Back