• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted looking for black, red or blue single sided PCB base material

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock soderstrom

Tour de France
Hello, I am looking for black, red or blue single sided base material for self etching PCBs. With or without photo sensitive coating. Because of the transport costs best in Germany or EU.

Cheers

I might be misunderstanding but PCB base material typically FR4 is simply its natural colour. And clad with copper. The colour of a finished PCB is that of the solder resist applied post etching.

I might be misunderstanding but PCB base material typically FR4 is simply its natural colour. And clad with copper. The colour of a finished PCB is that of the solder resist applied post etching.
Well, not really true, sorry.

Base material can be many things. Pertinax, FR2, FR4 and much more. Most of them are also available in different colours independent of the solder resist layer.

Here, for example, one-sided FR4 base material from Bungard in blue.

20230512_184031.jpg
20230512_184044.jpg
Edit: this was my first self etched PCB ever! Many moons ago.. :geek:

Last edited:
Well, not really true, sorry.

Base material can be many things. Pertinax, FR2, FR4 and much more. Most of them are also available in different colours independent of the solder resist layer.

Here, for example, one-sided FR4 base material from Bungard in blue.

View attachment 108937
View attachment 108938
Edit: this was my first self etched PCB ever! Many moons ago.. :geek:

No problem. I've never seen or been offered coloured FR4 from any PCB fab that I've used but good to know it's a thing. Although I'm not sure where I'd get a benefit from it. Looks good if visible I guess. What sort of cost premium ?
And yes - I know pcbs can be fabricated in numerous materials but ime it nearly always ends up being FR4 unless there's a specific reason to use something else for electrical or process reasons. I did once consider a PTFE material for an ultra low leakage application but didn't need to after initial build on FR4 although layout and cleanliness was critical.

Although I'm not sure where I'd get a benefit from it. Looks good if visible I guess. What sort of cost premium ?
I want it purely for aesthetic reasons, I simply like it better. If you buy it directly from the manufacturer, there is no price difference in the different colors! The purchase minimum quantity is rather a problem.

I may have some black left here. We have it made to our specs in the US. 4 oz copper. We regularly use black, blue, and Natural. They give you a choice of material and color. It's not cheap but they make great stuff. You have to buy full sheets though. Like 3 feet by 4 feet or something. Some vendors will cut them into 1/4 sheets. We have them make 5-10 sheets at a time every year or two.

For those not in the know about colors being available, yes most places offer at least black base material for circuits that use anything light sensitive is my understanding. Our supplier is a US military contractor, so the "special Military Operation" Russia has initiated may cause supply problems - buy extra if you can ;-)

Last edited:
I REALLY hate to share this source, but this forum has been kind to me.
https://currentcomposites.com/electrical-grade-laminates/UGH Already regretting it. PLEASE DO NOT INUNDATE THEM WITH BS SMALL REQUESTS. It's 3' x 4' sheets at a time. If you can't buy 5 -100 full sheets (60 square feet) look elsewhere, or ask us to stack it into one of our orders. Our 5-10 sheet runs are tiny for them, and kind of a hassle for them. NOTE: the board material we use is too thick for most standard components. They laminate this to your spec, one order at a time - this takes some time (weeks+).

For small runs here in the US, if you are following me you know where I will suggest you look. McMaster. They also have a nice selection of Garolite, and it will be at your door in a day or two, instead of weeks/months if you use the above.
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/~/circuit-boards-4/?s=pcb

I REALLY hate to share this source, but this forum has been kind to me.
https://currentcomposites.com/electrical-grade-laminates/UGH Already regretting it. PLEASE DO NOT INUNDATE THEM WITH BS SMALL REQUESTS. It's 3' x 4' sheets at a time. If you can't buy 5 -100 full sheets (60 square feet) look elsewhere, or ask us to stack it into one of our orders. Our 5-10 sheet runs are tiny for them, and kind of a hassle for them. NOTE: the board material we use is too thick for most standard components. They laminate this to your spec, one order at a time - this takes some time (weeks+).

For small runs here in the US, if you are following me you know where I will suggest you look. McMaster. They also have a nice selection of Garolite, and it will be at your door in a day or two, instead of weeks/months if you use the above.
https://www.mcmaster.com/products/~/circuit-boards-4/?s=pcb
Thanks for your info but shipping from US makes it too expensive. I think I will order at Bungard, probably the best source in Germany for stuff like this. Top qualitiy but not a bargain.

https://shop.bungard.de/index.php/de/basismaterial/leiterplatten/fotobeschichtetes-basismaterial

Back