M-Audio DMP3 protection diodes?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k brown

There have been a couple of threads about mods/upgrades to the DMP3, but curiously none that address one of it's biggest weaknesses - the lack of protection diodes on the inputs, as seen in the Rane MS1b, and indeed most 'cookbook' circuits using these pre-on-a-chip ICs. Some have 4148s to the supply, others Zeners to ground.

AES paper discusses the various schemes.

I'm considering modding mine to more resemble the MS1b, which also uses the INA163.

220pf across the inputs also worth adding? DMP3 only has caps from ea to ground.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• MS1b protection diodes.png
    MS1b protection diodes.png
    94.7 KB · Views: 18
  • AES5335_48V_Phantom_Menace.pdf
    152.9 KB · Views: 8
But how big a weakness is it, assuming there's one at all? True there aren't any diodes on the inputs, but there are other protection measures in place that the AES Phantom Menace paper recommends.

First, the paper assumes 10 Ohm resistors on the input of the instrument amp for the simulated circuit and then goes on to use 5 Ohms on their actual test circuit. The DMP3 has 47 Ohm resisters (or just shy of half of what they state would be the safe minimum for their simulated circuit in part 1.2). So potentially just a little more than 1/10th the maximum initial current hitting the inputs compared to the test circuit. The fact that the total charge is distributed between two capacitors in series may reduce the effective current further still. I'll leave it to someone with more hands-on as opposed to theoretical electronics knowledge than me to determine if that "may" is a "does" or "does not".

Second, the paper assumes 47uF capacitors on the input; the DMP3 has two 10uF in series for a total of 5uF. So the potential stored charge on the phantom blocking caps is 1/10th as much as the value calculated in the paper and a lot less stored charge to cause damage to the chip.

It's hard to say whether these mitigations alone are enough to adequately protect the INA163, but on the other hand a search--albeit an admittedly quick and not thorough one--didn't reveal any widespread failures among users. The Rane on the other hand has the same values as specified in the paper (10 Ohm resisters, 47uF caps) and probably does need the protection diodes. All that being said, if you wanted to add some diodes to the front end, go for it; I doubt it would cause any issues and could very well save your bacon if you accidentally hot-plug something.

The fact that the total charge is distributed between two capacitors in series may reduce the effective current further still.
Not really. You must understand that the "phantom menace" most often happens when only one of the legs is shorted to ground; then the capacitor discharges its near 48Volts into the base-emitter junction of the input device (that is assuming npn devices). This is called zenering and results in increased noise.
The SSM chips have on-chip protection diodes.
However the surge is such that it exceeds the Vce breakdown voltage, which has a more drastic effect, that's why they recommand using either zeners of diodes to the rails. However they do not mention input resistors, so one is left in conjecture; have they implemented a magic protection scheme, or do they prefer to privilege the noise performance? Or does it give them an opportunity for returning business?
The INA163 datasheet is not very loquacious so I don't know the gender of the input devices. Anyway, such a happenstance is always non desirable.

Second, the paper assumes 47uF capacitors on the input; the DMP3 has two 10uF in series for a total of 5uF. So the potential stored charge on the phantom blocking caps is 1/10th as much as the value calculated in the paper and a lot less stored charge to cause damage to the chip.
That is true, however, zenering the b-e junction is cumulative. If it happens frequently, the effects become more audible (noise).

Thanks both for your thoughts - I went ahead and added the back-to-back zeners to ground; hot-plugging with phantom on is just something I'd probably do!

The MS1b just seems like a more complete design to me.

Back