Made in the USA HK67 HK87 HK47 style capsules..AND NOW HK12 !!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the feedback, some detailed pictures are actually a couple of pages back by the way. And trust me I know the elaM comparison isn't a perfect one but I thought it was worthwhile none the less.
I was just really surprised how close they where!! I have some good ideas to tame the highs just a touch and add a bit more low end. And sadly I have no reall good way of doing a frequency chart. It looks like I will be about a month before I start producing.

Thanks

granger.frederic said:
how?

in the matador c12 pcb, the teflon/metal pins are soldered directly on the pcb.
i think we'd better avoid contact between the metal conductor of the pins, and the pcb.
epoxy is a bad high impedance insulator (in the gig ohms order...)
teflon is the opposite...
like many manufacturers, we should make some "point to point" in the high impedance section.
remember that even a few grid current leak, can badly affect the frequency response.

cheers
Fred

I'd wondered about this. Even on the inexpensive Chinese tube mics the high impedence sections are isolated with direct soldering of those components to the teflon pins. The teflon isolates the pins from the board. Thanks for explaining.

My Matador C12 sounds good to me, but now I want to experiment.... Hmmmnnnnn.

Dear Eric,

thanks for the good news, i hope you'll find a way to fix the bottom end/high end...

there's only one external picture of your capsule, it would be nice to have some detailed pictures of the inside parts, to see how you've managed the multi- chambers, for example...( i understand if you want to keep some manufacturing secrets..)

Dear Matador,

i understand that various equalizations are possible in a headamp, but personally i don't want to use that.
i prefer a flat schematic to give the full capsule response.
eqs are creating some phase shifts which are sound falsifications, even at the first order.
If we want to experiment with lower output tube impedance, i think i would prefer deal with a 5718 or an ac701, instead of non perfectly paired triodes in parallel...
i guess that Oliver has given the T14 response at 10k input impedance (we need to check that), so a 5718 or a 6922 should give us the +/-1db 20hz to 20Khz (with 50/90v anode, 1uF ,and at least 200Mohm grid resistor)

Zout= (Ri * Rp) / (Ri + Rp) where Ri=internal resistance and Rp=plate resistance

Cheers
Fred

Sorry no inside pics yet, I have the first proto in my c12 microphone currently. Once I get my production run finished I will be able to take some pictures of it disassembled. The capsule is dimensionally exactly the same as an original. The primary and secondary backplates create the chamber the same way as AKG did just without the threading. I can precision grind all the parts that way and produce a more consistent capsule.

Eric

Dear Eric,

Ok, good to know !
The ck12 seems, by definition, very hard to tune.
So ,take your time, we'll wait.

Good luck with the move and keep us posted as you go , i will be following ya,
Best,
DAn,

Thanks Dany!!!!

Well me made it through the move and the first week in and temp apartment until I close on the new house!! We close on the 24th and will hopefully back up the next week. I will update as I can!

Eric

Hi Eric,

I tried to PM you, but your mailbox is full!  You must be a popular guy  ;)

Can you delete some messages so I can send you some order information? 

Thanks!
Trevor

Hi all,

mayfly, I sent you a PM so sorry for the time it took to respond. Everyone else I am back taking orders! please reference the first page for details. The HK12 capsule is still moving forward just more slowly than anticipated due to the move.  I hope to start taking orders at the beginning of December if everything goes well.

Eric

Nice work!! 8) Do you have any audio examples? ie in comparison to a real Ck12 or Tims capsule?

Check back in the thread on page 5, I have posted some links to a pretty large shoot out with a really old vintage c12, I also paosted a clip of a new reproduction ElaM 251 witha vintage c12 capsule in it that sounds almost exatcly like my capsule, Not an exact comparison but a suprising one... 

Eric

Nice work Tskguy! But to me they sound quite different and I would have to agree with what was mentioned earlier in the thread the ie.low end could come up and highs around 2k-3k could come down before the high end lift. The original C12 sounds very relaxed and natural and reminds me a lot of my Tim Campbell capsule. Keep tweaking your almost there! :)

I am actually there, The changes are very easy to make. So once the production run starts the capsules will be my own sound, but closer to the original c12 in the clip that honestly is a but tired sounding to my ears. Take a listen to the second clips with a newer mic circuit the 251 and a vintage deep dish c12, it is very close. Again a nudge in the low end will help and can be adjusted. And just an FYI there wont be any comparisons made to Tim's capsule. This is at his request, 

Let me know when you want one  ;D

We need more pictures of that bad boy tskguy!  How about some edge shots and better yes some disassembled shots.

Quite a bit more top in your capsule vs the samples, but the fact that it was two different mics makes it all inconclusive.

Once I get some more capsules completed photos will follow, That capsule is mounted in the my Chungador C12 currently out on loan. As stated earlier it is 100% chambered design just like the original.

The old C12 sounded like a very good specimen to my ears dead quiet too... The 251 and C12 are very different circuits they and shouldn't really sound the same at all.

I'll look forward to hearing more samples of your tweaked capsule in the future if you have plans of shooting it out with the old C12 again?

Hi Eric,

I just sent you a PM last night.  Would love some more details about the HK87 capsule.

Thanks and happy holidays,
Seth

Latest posts

Back