Massive PM1000 project help

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnStudios

Hi guys, been reading forum for a bit and saw all the Yamaha PM1000 threads. I figured that this was the place to start.

I know tons of info has been posted on the PM1000 and on racking the modules for mic pres, and I will need this info soon..... but I have a major problem. Let me explain.

I have a complete 24 channel PM1000 console. It's been through 4 owners and sit 12 inches above water for 2 weeks during Hurricane Floyd in 20001. Now for the problem...

The original owner of the console was a local TV station (WECT here in Wilmington NC I think). The board was used in their main control room for 10-15 years or more. While there in the studio, there were several mods done by the TV station tech. I may try to research the TV station and see if this guy is still around and if he remembers the mods performed on this console. The console works somewhat, at the moment. The mods vary from extra PCBs mounted in the mains and talkback, PCBs mounted on the chassis and (supposedly) several channels and a main converted to video(?). I also see quite a bit of wiring that doesn't look original.

As I said, the board works (somewhat) but I would like to see it restored to it's original glory. I've used this board to record my nephew's teen band 10-11 years ago and going back to those old recordings, I can't believe how much punch the recording has.

I have never built anything major, just a few kits back in the 70s. I'm not afraid of a soldering iron and I've had my anus handed to me by the transformer of an unplugged TV so I feel I have all the suicidal tendacies of DIYer. My question is this: If I posted a few pics of the mods to these modules, would you guys be interested in helping me decipher what has been done and how to reverse it back to the original 10-ton desk weight it was meant to be? I will try to keep the pics small but detailed so as to identify the changes.

The ultimate goal: After returning it to it's original state, I want to destroy it. (typical eh?) What I want to do is eliminate the complete 292 lbs (according to the manual) chassis and framework and build a newer, more compact case with a smaller footprint. I also would like to do all the normal mods: (channels) line-ins, direct outs, inserts, mutes, eq mods, (mains) inserts, mutes and so on... I guess I want to build a modern board with the pm1000 guts...

So what do say guys? Ya wanna help build the ultimate Frankenboard? If not I promise to never post here again or ever ask another question... ever! (lies, lies, lies)

Hi, and Welcome,
  The people here are very helpful. I'm sure that if you post photos and ask clear, concise questions, you will get all the help you need.
My suggestion would be to try to restore the board as much as possible. You should have some "normal" channels, so maybe you can compare the modded channels, and get them back to "normal" that way.
  As I'm sure you know, folks look all over for these mixers to rack 'em up and use them for pres. You yourself mention how punchy the recordings you made with it. A restored PM1000 would be a powerful tool. Just replace the PS electrolytic caps, and the electro caps in the master channel for a start. Should sound even better after this, if it has not been done within the last 15 years or more.
  I also like replacing the EQ caps in older boards with better metal film and polypro caps. Makes the filters very smooth and much more useable. A schematic will help here, but I could probably point those caps out in a good shot of a channel strip.
  Here's a website a guy did after looking into restoration and mods for a Ghost console. Not the same manufacturer, but it might give you some ideas.
http://www.underthebigtree.com/wiki/tiki-index.php?page=Soundcraft+Ghost+Restoration+Project
  I know the original console is large and ungainly, but that's my suggestion ( and it's only a suggestion)...restore!
Have fun!

Thanks... I had gone to that site about the "Ghost" before. It was really interesting.
Yes the pm1000 is really huge... 292 pounds of solid wood and steel. I have a 40 channel Carvin SL-40 sitting beside the PM1000 and it makes the Carvin look small. Its like that piece of furniture you have in the house that you'd probably throw away if you had enough people there at one time to move it.

I hope to get the pics up of those extra boards in the master sections by the weekend, but I can't for the life of me, remember where I put the USB cable for my camera....

Hello,
I just got done racking up 1 channel of PM1000, and finishing the second is on my list. so the info is (kind of ) fresh on my brain. I'll be glad to help anyway I can. But go for it, any question you have pertaining to electronics and the pm1000 is bound to be answered on here!
Sweet score BTW...

Hello Barn ,  err name?

Ok so I have a 32 channel PM1000 and just started some R&D work on it. My plans are a bit different then yours but if you want to hear some details let me know. I plan on converting it to a 32 channel Neve 1073 with all new PCB and everything.

For me I found that most valuable thing of this unit was the framework but you mentioned you wanted to get rid of that? I had a really nice stand welded up and powdercoated for it and plan on re doing the veneers on it. after the mods are done.
My project however is going to take some time to complete so you may not want to go down this road with me.

Chuck

Glad to know someone else is preserving the whole board and not parting it. These things are really awsome sounding. I have a few pics of the circuit boards that were added to the mains...
Now can someone explain how to upload a photo? I click the button and it just inserts the html code for an image... I use the attachment browser below and it doesn't seem to upload anything

Thanks
Bill
The Barn Studios

I've got a 32 CH PM-1000 in a massive Road Case. I bought it thinking I would do live sound with it. But it takes 4 guys and a truck to move it. The truck went and it's just sitting there.  So, I thought about using it to record with.
But I'd need D.I's, Line ins, Mods etc. I've got 3 Harrison Consoles I'm restoring. So there it sits. Thinking about selling it, don't know. I'll be following along to see what developes. Maybe it will help me make up my mind.

Latest posts

Back