Mic body modification from USB to XLR?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rock soderstrom

Tour de France
Hi guys, does anyone have a good idea how to convert such USB mics to 3/5/7 pin XLR? (or any other multipin connector)

1000026404.jpg
1000026405-jpg.124198

1000026406.jpg
At the moment I just insert the cable and would use glue or epoxy to make it a fixed cable mic. Any better ideas?1000026407.jpg1000026408.jpg

Attachments

• 1000026405.jpg
    1000026405.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 242
  • 1000026408.jpg
    1000026408.jpg
    726 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
One of the reasons I tend to avoid USB mics...

Isn't the USB connector part just an insert like XLR? Or did they find a way to integrate the square hole in the body?

Isn't the USB connector part just an insert like XLR? Or did they find a way to integrate the square hole in the body?
The USB socket is actually an insert like the XLR terminal, but the holder around it has the right shape for the square USB socket. I'm no expert, but I think it's injected molded. The whole bottom part is one piece, you would have to replace it or drill it out from my point of view.

Last edited:
Any pics of the original USB socket and internals of the SC450USB mic? Why not use a USB cable to feed the +5V to mic and then a DC/DC converter(s) for the supplies you need, and use the D+ and D- lines as outputs?

Any pics of the original USB socket and internals of the SC450USB mic?
Yep, check this:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/inside-the-t-bone-sc450-usb-gutting-party-for-mic-diyer.81965/
Why not use a USB cable to feed the +5V to mic and then a DC/DC converter(s) for the supplies you need, and use the D+ and D- lines as outputs?
Well, I like to use these bodies for simple tube microphones. So far as a test-bed, but as the body is not bad, I can imagine using them permanently. That's why I'm looking for a better solution than the fixed cable thing, although it's not that bad.

Maybe use a conical shaped grinding stone on a drill and gradually round out the hole to the required diameter to fit standard xlr ,

So why don't you just use the regular XLR version of the SC450 (same price)?
I do and I would recommend everyone to use them if they have the choice. I have a few of these USB mics, some of which I received as gifts. It would be a shame not to use them, because I'm very happy with the sound now.

BTW, the SC450 is a little bit more expensive here on the second hand market. But again, you are right, it is the better choice.

Maybe use a conical shaped grinding stone on a drill and gradually round out the hole to the required diameter to fit standard xlr ,
Thanks. I've already thought about that. Unfortunately, there's not much "meat" available, so the XLR socket could be a bit to big. I have to test it...

I am currently working on a PCB for this body and am wondering which other mics look the same inside and will therefore be compatible with this PCB?

Here is a photo, the distance between the drill holes for the PCB mounting is about 35mm at the top and 30mm at the bottom, the vertical distance is about 43mm.1000026516.jpg

Who else knows microphones that have a similar design? What does the normal SC450 look like inside, I don't have one here at the moment? Other manufacturers and OEM?1000026517.jpg

Hi guys, does anyone have a good idea how to convert such USB mics to 3/5/7 pin XLR? (or any other multipin connector)

View attachment 124197
1000026405-jpg.124198

View attachment 124199
At the moment I just insert the cable and would use glue or epoxy to make it a fixed cable mic. Any better ideas?View attachment 124200View attachment 124202

The USB mike should have an A/D converter chip, so besides the wrong circuit, and who knows what capsule, a body not suitable for XLR, I see nothing but very hard to solv problems for such conversion. There are enough mike kits out there that makes a worthwhile project.
Leave that USB mike the way it is.
NOT worth it.

The USB mike should have an A/D converter chip, so besides the wrong circuit, and who knows what capsule, a body not suitable for XLR, I see nothing but very hard to solv problems for such conversion. There are enough mike kits out there that makes a worthwhile project.
Leave that USB mike the way it is.
NOT worth it.
The circuit and the existing PCB don't matter to me as written, I will de-solder the 1G resistors, that's it.

I think it's a bit too negative, the body is ok and a good testbed to try out different things. Yes, there are better bodies for final projects, but I also like to give such things away (after playing with it) to young musicians for their first test recordings in the home studio. A Royer mod or SELA T12 plus a 5€ China capsule goes a long way there. They like to use them and are really grateful.

We are groupddiy here, not group "buy the most expensive stuff you can get and screw it together according to a paint by numbers plan."

You are welcome to see it differently, you now know how I see it and we don't need to discuss that here.

The most expensive irreplaceable thing is time. Avoiding wild goose chases is one of them. Not trying to be negative or rain on any parades.

The most expensive irreplaceable thing is time. Avoiding wild goose chases is one of them. Not trying to be negative or rain on any parades.
As I said, you are welcome to see it that way, but it doesn't help the thread or the actual topic. So it's primarily negative and know-it-all like many of your posts. It would be better if you would come up with something concrete and constructive instead of just your patronizing opinion. It's completely up to me what I do with my free time, I don't need your assessment.
If you want to discuss further you can send me a PM but keep this thread clean.

I have used a step bit to drill out the bottom bell of an SYT5, which originally held an XLR insert, in order to fit a Binder-style Amphenol connector (which was then epoxied in). This was for a tube mic.

You could try something similar, in this case replacing the USB with XLR. If the XLR won’t fit, you could try a miniXLR or one of the many, military-style locking connectors, along with a pigtail adapter to XLR.

You could try something similar, in this case replacing the USB with XLR. If the XLR won’t fit, you could try a miniXLR or one of the many, military-style locking connectors, along with a pigtail adapter to XLR.
Thanks for your input(y), mini XLR might fit better and since the mic is powered by a custom power supply anyway it's not a problem to have a dedicated cabel. I'll be in town later to see what's available and what fits best. I need only five pins, even a DIN connector could work.

If all else fails, it will be a fixed cable solution like this "worthless" microphone. :cool:1000026542.jpg

Edit: here is a interesting candidate, a 5pin mini XLR, socket and plug for 6.30€. Max. voltage and current seems right.
https://www.reichelt.de/tiny-xlr-einbaustecker-5-pol-wandstaerken-bis-6-mm-rean-t5mp-p166202.html

Last edited:
Hello Rock,
your post reminded me that I have very similar USB-mic bodies that came to me the same way yours did come to you ;)

Unbenannt.jpg

I thought, since the "end part with the square hole in it" are round on the outside, I can easily clamp them into my lathe and make a round hole out of the square one - easy I thought. I could give that a try, post pics of the result and then you can decide if it´s worth it to send me your end bits over to Bremen.

Oh, and by the way: I seem to have quite a lot of free time on my hand this week - obviously the most expensive and irreplacable resouce to have - and I really can´t think of a better way of spending it, than to do what I like best and (even better!) be of help to somebody else at the same time. ;)

best regards from Bremen,
Wulf

... jepp, worx ...

IMG_0760.JPG... at least with my donor bodies. Half an hour of precious and irreplacable resource spent at the lathe.
The old plug is still protruding too far but it is only half the operation anyway, I just wanted to see, if the principal is sound.

best from Bremen,
Wulf

Latest posts

Back