MK-U47

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ioaudio said:
The shop will be closed from june 2nd till 16th.

Enjoy your well deserved Vacation  :)
Best,
Dan,

Hi Max,

Thanks for sending me the quote for the MK47 via email. However I'm just holding fire for a short while longer as to ponder which interesting fun project to do next. I've an almost complete U87 awaiting a transformer and capsule delivery that's being done first plus I'm also very keen/interested in your most recent 'more accurate' U47 build that's looking awesome.... Anyway

Just a few questions for you in the meantime though if that's o.k. while I'm still pondering

1. The MK47 is based on the U47 'YES'

I.e. VR14 tube and in your schematic your listing the VR14r... your equivalent etc.

Well you have two valves working physically together. Can you explain what is going on with this? Also reading the threads there is a lot of people complaining of the noise this circuit is generating and the associated teething problems. Would I be right to assume that for the circuit to be successful the two valves need to be matched and balanced together in tandem to run sweet? It's not like the SE Gemini that's got twin valves I'e the secondary valve replaces the output transformer to make the microphone transformer 'less'.

3. Why does the schematic not show two separate valves in it's diagrams. I am confused by this.

2. With respect to the twin valve setup does the MK47 have a sonic edge over your single MK7 ' ef86 kit and do you still produce that one ?

3. And finally in reality the M7/VR14/BV08 combination of the original produces a certain 'sound' for which it's obviously famed for. Your MK47 and the MK7 I presume will sound slightly different if maybe only subtle. Can you tell me in your opinion the differences sonically between your two kits and the original.

Thanks for your time Max and sorry for being a 'pest'  :)

Steve Gare

Hi Steve,

1. yes.
3. sry for the confusion - the two tubes work in parallel, while the heater is configured in series. The tubes do not have to be closely matched (as in push/pull configurations) but selected/burned in for low noise.
2. the mk7 was the forerunner to the mk47, i don't sell it any more (but kits show up on the black market from time to time)
The mk7 was perceived as more mid-focused as described by some of the builders.

hope that helps,
max

Good news: The Bv.11 is now available at a introductory pricing, pls see first post.
bv_11.jpg

Latest posts

Back