mono to stereo

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really a stereoizer, but I get good ADT/stereo effects from this ADT plugin:

http://www.vacuumsound.de/plugins.html

The delay is probably in the range of 30ms for the ADT effect.

regards, Jack

abbey road d enfer said:
Why not good old reverb?

I have been trying to figure out how to use reverb to create dry stereo information, but I have only been able to achieve more of a "wet" signal with it. I've tried using a side-chain gate plugin to eliminate the long tail and also have tried decreasing the duration time of the tail down to 0 seconds. Any suggestions? Thank you!

AMZ-FX said:
Not really a stereoizer, but I get good ADT/stereo effects from this ADT plugin:

regards, Jack

Thanks for the suggestion, though i have tried that plugin before. It is not mono compatible. The best stereo is mono compatible

To get mono compatibility the +/- delay, or phase shift(s) is only way since they will null out in mono.

If you were able to carefully EQ two versions of the same mono signal, so that they sounded different in a stereo presentation, while managing the addition and subtraction so the mono sum netted out flat, you would get pretty much the same thing.

Using stereo returns from real reverb, is an old studio trick to add stereo width to a mono source, but this does not collapse in mono. 

JR

jditmer0 said:
AMZ-FX said:

regards, Jack

Thanks for the suggestion, though i have tried that plugin before. It is not mono compatible. The best stereo is mono compatible
Only M-S and X-Y are 100% mono-compatible. A-B, ORTF, are not perfect in that respect; however, many would use them rather than the "best".
I don't think total mono-compatibility was an absolute requirement of the OP.

jditmer0 said:
abbey road d enfer said:
Why not good old reverb?

I have been trying to figure out how to use reverb to create dry stereo information, but I have only been able to achieve more of a "wet" signal with it. I've tried using a side-chain gate plugin to eliminate the long tail and also have tried decreasing the duration time of the tail down to 0 seconds. Any suggestions? Thank you!
You have to look at the "ambience" programs, which use only the early reflections part of the reverb algorithms.

abbey road d enfer said:
jditmer0 said:
abbey road d enfer said:
Why not good old reverb?

You have to look at the "ambience" programs, which use only the early reflections part of the reverb algorithms.

o very nice thank you! It sounds much better now. You still have to use a side-chain gate plugin with the dry signal because the early reflection still has some duration to it. So if you mute the "direct" and "tail" portion of any reverb plugin while leaving early reflections unmuted, your using "ambiance"?

JohnRoberts said:
To get mono compatibility the +/- delay, or phase shift(s) is only way since they will null out in mono.

If you were able to carefully EQ two versions of the same mono signal, so that they sounded different in a stereo presentation, while managing the addition and subtraction so the mono sum netted out flat, you would get pretty much the same thing.

Using stereo returns from real reverb, is an old studio trick to add stereo width to a mono source, but this does not collapse in mono. 

JR

when you say stereo returns are you just referring to using a stereo reverb as a send? and what do you mean by "real" reverb? thanks!

jditmer0 said:
JohnRoberts said:

JR

when you say stereo returns are you just referring to using a stereo reverb as a send? and what do you mean by "real" reverb? thanks!

I mean a "real" reverb like a plate or spring with two physical pickups generating two distinctly different return signals. Some  digital reverbs, do not play well with each other when their stereo outputs are recombined to mono.

From this discussion it sounds like you are looking for something other than what I was referring to, so never mind.

JR

jditmer0 said:
abbey road d enfer said:
jditmer0 said:
abbey road d enfer said:
Why not good old reverb?

o very nice thank you! It sounds much better now. You still have to use a side-chain gate plugin with the dry signal because the early reflection still has some duration to it. So if you mute the "direct" and "tail" portion of any reverb plugin while leaving early reflections unmuted, your using "ambiance"?
I never use a gate because the reverbs  I use are tweakable and allow me to make the ambiance very short: more than 20 msec in order to make it stand out of the direct sound, and less than 50 msec in order to prevent it to sound like an echo.

abbey road d enfer said:
jditmer0 said:
abbey road d enfer said:
jditmer0 said:
abbey road d enfer said:
Why not good old reverb?

I never use a gate because the reverbs  I use are tweakable and allow me to make the ambiance very short: more than 20 msec in order to make it stand out of the direct sound, and less than 50 msec in order to prevent it to sound like an echo.

o nice what reverb plugin do you enjoy to use? I've been using Altiverb. It has about 18 different plate/spring reverbs. Do you think I should only be using plate/spring ER's for this purpose like John Roberts mentioned above?

abbey road d enfer said:
I use hardware reverbs for that type of application, either a tc M3000 or a Quantec Yardstick.

Nice, i'll have to check those out. But are you supposed to use MAINLY Spring/Plate early reflections for this purpose? thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back