Monoprice Stage Right SC100 Pencil Condenser pair with 4 capsules (2 cardioid, 2 omni) for 52.49 USD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul W

Has anyone tried the Monoprice SC100 pencil condensers, or know something they're a rebadged version of? They come with omni and cardioid capsules for a mere $52.49 (USD) right now, from Amazon, Target, or Walmart (I'm in the US, don't know about availability elsewhere). That's for a pair, so 4 capsules.

From a screen capture of the printing on the box from a YouTube review video, it appears that they allege 14 dB self noise, -38 dB sensitivity, max SPL of 135 dB, 80 dB, 16mm capsules.

The bodies don't appear to have vents, so I guess the cardioids at least are not interchangeable with mics that have vents behind the capsule.

Attachments

• MonopriceSC100PencilCondenserMicrophoneOmniAndCardioid_Specifications.png
    MonopriceSC100PencilCondenserMicrophoneOmniAndCardioid_Specifications.png
    341.4 KB · Views: 0
  • SC100MicWithCardiodCapsule.jpg
    SC100MicWithCardiodCapsule.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 0
  • MonopriceStageRightSC100Package.jpg
    MonopriceStageRightSC100Package.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
I posted about the SC100 SDCs and the LC100 LDCs here:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/monoprice-lc100.82082/

They both have the same circuits, just different size/shape boards. Basically Schoeps-style circuit w/o voltage multiplier for polarization voltage, as they are electret capsules. Boards and components are of pretty high quality, actually. Capsules are cheap Transound, or knockoffs thereof. I found the cardioids to be useless, and threw them away; the omnis a bit better, but quite bright. Almost all the noise is from the capsules.

I just re-housed the boards as transformerless power modules for the many mics I have that use the same 2SK660 FET.

Last edited:
I posted about the SC100 SDCs and the LC100 LDCs here:
https://groupdiy.com/threads/monoprice-lc100.82082/

They both have the same circuits, just different size/shape boards. Basically Schoeps-style circuit w/o voltage multiplier for polarization voltage, as they are electret capsules. Boards and components are of pretty high quality, actually. Capsules are cheap Transound, or knockoffs thereof. I found the cardioids to be useless, and threw them away; the omnis a bit better, but quite bright. Almost all the noise is from the capsules.

I just re-housed the boards as transformerless power modules for the many mics I have that use the same 2SK660 FET.
That makes sense, I had these as the iSK Little Gem, they came with super cardioid caps. IIRC the iSK version was full of quality components, weak point seemed to be the capsules there too.

Back