Moving to New Zealand

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rybow

Kia ora!

My girlfriend and I are moving to New Zealand! Hopefully. I am just waiting for my visa to come through. If it doesn't, well then we will just be going on holiday, but it should work out. My girlfriend is a New Zealander, which is why we are moving there If all goes well, we will be in Wellington on September 20th. I am really looking forward to it! We are landing right in the middle of the rugby world cup. Should be really cool. I have been watching this video to learn the language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdVHZwI8pcA

The hardest decision I have had to make is t sell my amp. My Mesa Boogie rectoverb 50. I love that amp, but converting the voltage plus the added shipping cost is not worth it. 51% decided to sell. Unless I have just played my guitar, then I am 100% decided not to sell until the next day. The only other piece of kit that I have that won't work are my monitors. Anyone know an easy way to convert yamaha HS 50's to 220v?

We are transferring our DVD collection onto a hard drive right now. I am just trying to figure out if I need to convert all of our NTSC video to PAL, or if I can set up my computer to output PAL on the fly. Finding a TV that will do both is proving to be difficult.

Anyway, gotta get going on listing all our crap on craigslist. I might have some good stuff to post in the black market soon.

Chur bro!
E noho ra!

Wow Isn't that were they filmed lord of the rings?
Really beautiful!

Good luck. Also don't they have step down transformers to convert 220 to 110v?

google things like "running a 60 hz transformer on 50 hz"

I had no issue moving from the UK to the USA in terms of appliances. I got a couple of step up transformers and I was done. I run my vox amp through one without issue.

Most DVD players will play both, providing you "unlock" them. Most LCD tv's will handle both formats too.

abechap024 said:
Wow Isn't that were they filmed lord of the rings?
Really beautiful!

Good luck. Also don't they have step down transformers to convert 220 to 110v?

That's right! I have been bugging my girlfriend to move to Auckland so that we can get a place in Hobbiton. They built a full on replica. She doesn't think I am very funny. We went there last year, and it is gorgeous! It will be strange to have christmas in the summer.

I have looked at transformer step down on conversion. For the costs involved with that and shipping I could get a new shiny amp. I do love my amp, but there are a few things about the sound that I am not a fan of. I look at it as an opportunity to grab something really nice. Probably a half stack this time around. Same with the HS 50's.

Thanks for that Rochey. I wasn't too sure about PAL/NTSC when it comes to consumer gear. At my cinema, all our projectors and players need to be set up.

Well, it had been awhile since I sent in my immigration stuff, so I decided to check the tracking on the return UPS envelope that I sent them. Something was shipped out Friday, so I'll get it Monday. Fingers crossed.........seriously, the anticipation is killing me.

Christmas in summertime is awesome!! 8) You'll love it once you get used to it. I don't know any other way......... Well, besides what cheesy hollywood christmas films try to tell me........

As for shipping stuff............ yeah it sucks shipping to and from new zealand. Ebay can be a bit of a downer when an item you're looking at, either doesn't ship here, or it'll cost you a lung or a kidney to get it posted.
I guess we make up for that, by having not only a beautiful country, but also that everything is reasonably close by.
In my hometown of New Plymouth you could go snowboarding in the morning, and head out for a surf in the afternoon. Things are pretty close.

Hit me up when you get to auckland and come say hi.

Lowfreq said:
Christmas in summertime is awesome!! 8) You'll love it once you get used to it. I don't know any other way......... Well, besides what cheesy hollywood christmas films try to tell me........

As for shipping stuff............ yeah it sucks shipping to and from new zealand. Ebay can be a bit of a downer when an item you're looking at, either doesn't ship here, or it'll cost you a lung or a kidney to get it posted.
I guess we make up for that, by having not only a beautiful country, but also that everything is reasonably close by.
In my hometown of New Plymouth you could go snowboarding in the morning, and head out for a surf in the afternoon. Things are pretty close.

Hit me up when you get to auckland and come say hi.

Hey Lowfreq! Will definitely give you a shout when I touch down. First I need an L&P and a steak and cheese pie. I'll miss my cheesy snowy christmas, but a beer on the patio christmas eve sounds pretty cool too. NZ is gorgeous! My girlfriend and I went on holiday to NZ last year. Got to see Wellington, Dunedin, Queenstown, Te Anau, and the Milford sound. It was great! People always talk about how polite Canadians are, but New Zealanders are just as polite and way more laid back.

The big news of the day. I GOT MY VISA!!!!!! Yeah!!!!  ;D Very excited. No stopping blocks now. Just have to sell a bunch of stuff and organize shipping. I also need to calm my Mom down. She has this idea that she'll never see me again, or that I'll be killed by a Tsunami or earthquake. Oh well. That's Moms for you.

Time for a celebratory drink!  8)

Hi,

I lived in Aukland for about 6 months back in 1984. I absolutely loved it, and probably would have stayed on if I had not smashed up my ankle.

have a Steiny for me when you get there.

you lucky, lucky, so-and-so . . . .

Ouch! How did you smash up your ankle? Skiing?

I didn't get to do much celebrating on Monday. I came home, starting working on a project, was cutting some mesh with shears, and I cut off the tip of my finger. Ended up running down to the clinic. I have a nice big bandage on my finger at the moment. So stupid! The doctor is pretty sure it will grow back. I can be a really klutz.  :p

What's the DIY situation in New Zealand? Are parts easy to get? I have a couple of projects that I won't be able to finish before I leave, and I'm wondering if I should just get all the parts here.

Less than 2 months to go, and so much to do.

Its the final countdown. In 5 days the journey begins, and there is still so much crap in my house!

I am going to risk putting my ensemble in my suitcase, and I think I can survive for 3 months with an SM7 and an SM 57. I am actually glad I don't have more gear. All of it fits in one box. It'll be 3 months before I see it.  :'(

Anyway, just going through the house trying to get rid of as much as we can. Can't wait to get on the plane!

Best wishes on a " New " life & adventure [ and even less winter , ha! ]
Although it IS a big job , purging can be a good thing .

Dude you should arrive right in the fever of World Cup Rugby 2011 which is taking place there. As I am sure you have gathered, Rugby's  a pretty big deal to a lot of Kiwi's. Should be a great atmosphere from the emails people there are sending me.

Thanks Greg. I am happy to have a whole year without winter! Although we just got summer in van a few weeks ago. The purge was good. Where did all this crap come from?! Why did I need to keep so much? Anyway, on the plane tomorrow and looking forward to some vacation time!

I know nothing of rugby. Just watched my first game today. I think we are going to find it difficult to find a place and all that other important stuff. All we'll want to do is party down!

Well, off for some dinner and a beer.  ;D

You may have more than one flavor of football (rugby,etc) to choose from, and then there's cricket...

A very pretty country and good people.

DIY may be a useful skill there, as you're off the main highway.

Good luck...

JR

Thanks Doug and John. Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

Well, we have one more day in San Francisco before flying out to NZ. Its been a great time so far, and we're both wishing that we had some more time here. We found an old prohibition bar not far from our hotel. Going to check that out tonight for sure.

Hope all is well with all of you. I'm getting back to the vacation!

And we're here! Landed in Wellington yesterday after a fun filled 22 hours in transit. Woke up today with a mission. Get a flat, get a bank account, get a job, and get on with life! Had some reservations yesterday, but today I am excited about the change. One thing I'll say, this place has some awesome coffee! Once I get all set up, I hope to make a trip up to Auckland. I also have to think about setting up another workshop for the good old DIY. I have a couple of things left unfinished, and I'll have to switch my other projects over to 220V when they arrive in 3 months.

Anyway, off to look at some flats. Hope everyone here is doing well!

Ryan

Insomniaclown said:
Kia ora!

My girlfriend and I are moving to New Zealand! Hopefully. I am just waiting for my visa to come through. If it doesn't, well then we will just be going on holiday, but it should work out. My girlfriend is a New Zealander, which is why we are moving there If all goes well, we will be in Wellington on September 20th. I am really looking forward to it! We are landing right in the middle of the rugby world cup. Should be really cool. I have been watching this video to learn the language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdVHZwI8pcA

The hardest decision I have had to make is t sell my amp. My Mesa Boogie rectoverb 50. I love that amp, but converting the voltage plus the added shipping cost is not worth it. 51% decided to sell. Unless I have just played my guitar, then I am 100% decided not to sell until the next day. The only other piece of kit that I have that won't work are my monitors. Anyone know an easy way to convert yamaha HS 50's to 220v?

We are transferring our DVD collection onto a hard drive right now. I am just trying to figure out if I need to convert all of our NTSC video to PAL, or if I can set up my computer to output PAL on the fly. Finding a TV that will do both is proving to be difficult.

Anyway, gotta get going on listing all our crap on craigslist. I might have some good stuff to post in the black market soon.

Chur bro!
E noho ra!

God, never let go of your amp if you love it. just take a step transformer like someone mentioned!

Well that's true New Soul Rebel, but at the same time, I now have the opportunity to get something different. It wasn't just the power issue, it was also shipping costs. Plus, the money from that amp is saving my ass right now as I look for work. I have always wanted to try out a few different amps that I wouldn't normally go for. My amp was also a 50 watt combo amp, and I really want to grab a separate head and cab this time.

Just settling in to our new place in Karori. Nice place! I have a yard! Going to have a barbeque soon, so if anyone is in Wellington when that happens, your invited!

Back