My new project-500 series GSSL.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
apologies if this is dumb or has been asked already, and it probably has... where do you physically insert the sidechain signal on the mixbuzz?

also is there a list of compatible Gr meters with order numbers maybe so i can check them out?

I'm not sure i understand, please forgive my ignorance.
i have used sidechain input on a comp to trigger from a different external audio source than that which is processed...
so thats not the case? please explain for a dummy  :-\

Terminology. Studio folks used to take control signal for gate/compressor aside,
pass it thru kinda EQ, return back.
As freaks who common with schems more than audio,
sometimes we call "sidechain" the whole thing which takes a care about
rectifying the audio into compressor's vca control voltage, time constants, ratio, threshold, etc.
On MixBuzz500, SIDECHAIN controls used for filters inserted before detectors.
I.e you can choose between "FLAT (OFF)", 3 HPF settings and 2 "TILT" settings,
for filters inserted before compressor's detectors.
These filters choose "by-ear"  for most useful settings.
Hope, clear, if I didn't brought more terminology mess now :)

haha, ok just to be sure on my future 'terminology' :D
so there are 'preset' filters which affect control signal built into the circuit?
and
you can choose between "FLAT (OFF)", 3 HPF settings and 2 "TILT" settings,
which are switchable presets on the MixBuzz?

is it possible to use one side as the control and the other (mono) side as the effected signal?

EDIT:
also... what is TILT?
thank you very much Igor, I appreciate your work ;) ... and your help.

Imagine the compressor. Normal compressor.
There's a VCA, detector, time constants.
Hi-pass filter inserted before detector.
This way, low frequency's compressed less.
Good for electronic music and heavy stuff.
Tilt: A*P*I 2500 "Th**r@*st" filters.
;D ;D ;D

Attachments

• IMG_0726.JPG
    IMG_0726.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 162
it has sidechain filter but does it have external link? (like to send a kickdrum into the sidechain to trigger the compressor rather than the peaks of the audio signal?) like barclaycons ssc board

lovely box! im building 2 gssl units (oldschool styley i just been looking at these new ones great work igor!)

Terminology again, I used to drum "triggering" with gates, and most uggly thing
is bad drummers and midi triggers......anyway :)
Compressing (ducking) bass or BD from another source can be useful for electronic music.
Anyway. If you see where we can put external sidechain input for 500 series project, welcome :)

im building 2 gssl units (oldschool styley i just been looking at these new ones
Nope. GSSL is new school. Tell me about cutting one detector from compressor, than
adding on freaky external board it and calling "TURBO MOD" :)
MixBuzz500 is old school later build :)
At least, I did it close as possible to console's mixbus compressor.
The difference to gssl is balanced drivers/receivers, short as possible audio path,
sidechain filters.
I working these days, BTW, on fixing 6000G series old lady in one very nice local studio
http://www.dbpost.co.il/content/english/english.php
and had a chance to compare again MixBuzz500 to "original" predecessor with gold can VCA's.

hehe i wouldnt even dare to think i can make this box better :D u r tha man and this machine is beautiful i want one! i was just trying to add up to what u said about the sidechain filter in a previous post  ;D some people are looking for that specific function in a sidechain altho its not the actual name of that link input or whatever its called :p

but i stand corrected thanks for clearin that up (about the oldschoolness of your build) does it have to do with the 4 vca`s lined up there? is there a lot of change from the original gyraf gssl and this ones sound? considering we build the gyraf original with turbo/SSC/CRC kinda behaviour

thanks igor again dude its beautiful box i wish i could do something like that ! maybe in some years ;D

A bit problematic, after checking the stock, only 5 kits left.
I have to reserve 3 for me, the rest 3 will appear at my store within day-two.
http://ijr.diyrecordingequipment.com/

Got some mails about MixBuzz500 kits.
I will have limited stock of PCB's within 2-3 weeks. Fronts and brackets are available.
If interested, please write here.

Back