Neumann U 47 Clone - A DIY Bachelor Thesis

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@rock soderstrom: I resized the pictures you should be fine now :)

I've never been to gearslutz so sorry I'f im provoking any bad feelings. I think that some guys would like to do a "uncolored" test. You all know the name game and the psychological effects of it. So I'll stick to my plan  :)

Piano:
A = original
B= DIY

Acoustic Guitar:
A = original
B= DIY

Drums:
A = DIY
B= original

Vocals:
A = DIY
B= original

:) Feel free to tell me what you think.

What where your feelings about it? Less Bass with my build seems to be something i could verify in the first few abx tests.
Although my testers told me they liked the top end of my build a more.

I can't say much about low end because i still didn't listened smples on the speakers.
Personally i prefer much more  top end like in original.
It doesn't mean that u47 out of factory had exactly same frequency response like this used for comparison :)
To get true opinion i will have to test it by myself, but i will try in a free time listen your tracks on the speakers and then maybe i'll be able to say something  more ;)
Anyway! Great build!

Not sure about that. Even Andreas was kind of puzzeld about it.

I didnt change anything. Pluged a new tube and from then on its working very fine.

Zottel said:
Not sure about that. Even Andreas was kind of puzzeld about it.

I didnt change anything. Pluged a new tube and from then on its working very fine.
Mechanical shock perhaps? Especially if it happened when the tube filament was hot.

We turned it off and waited for ~15 minutes to pack it into my bagpack. It's a very cosy backpack and the wooden box looks good as well!  ???

Just one more picture  :) :
3.4gerade.jpg

Hey! Does anybody know what kind of material was used in the making of the original bodys/headgrills of a U47?
Does somebody know where they where made? Cant find anything neither in literature nor in the web.

OK, let's start with the body (sleeve).

Most were aluminum, but the very first were brass or maybe actually a gun metal alloy which would be more towards bronze.
Heavier than aluminum in any case.

Hey,

I have also information (i am not sure it is right), that body tube and the bell were made from duraliuminium.
Headgrille - brass
Mesh - brass

Best,
Andrew

Hey guys,

just wanted to let you guys now that I got my results for the bachelor thesis. It went extremly well! :)

So thanks again for all the countless support!

Latest posts

Back