New cheap 12bit scopes from Rigol

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks pretty nice, but those models are not listed on the US site and they have not returned any emails about availability.

I think they’re shipping mid October.
Hopefully this means Siglent will also release a budget 12bit scope soon…

I bought one of these a few months back for field work. i.e when visiting clients by train or air.

https://www.owon.co.uk/product-page/hds272s-70mhz-handheld-oscilloscope-with-signal-generator
Whilst it may not be the ideal scope for bench work in my workshop, it is brilliant for on site work being dual trace & having a signal generator. I was travelling up to London etc on public transport & trying to fix stuff on site with no scope at all & this has just made things a lot easier. I got it in a deal from Allied Express for something like £130 U.K. In reality for most jobs in the workshop it would be adequate too.

I bought one of these a few months back for field work. i.e when visiting clients by train or air.

https://www.owon.co.uk/product-page/hds272s-70mhz-handheld-oscilloscope-with-signal-generator
Whilst it may not be the ideal scope for bench work in my workshop, it is brilliant for on site work being dual trace & having a signal generator. I was travelling up to London etc on public transport & trying to fix stuff on site with no scope at all & this has just made things a lot easier. I got it in a deal from Allied Express for something like £130 U.K. In reality for most jobs in the workshop it would be adequate too.
One particular advantage is that being battery operated you can strap it straight across a balanced line without having to warry if you are accidentally grounding one output.

Nice find.

Cheers

Ian

That looks pretty cool. How's the build quality?

This is definitely a newbie question, since I've only been using a scope for a year or two, but what is the practical advantage of 12 bit when using a scope for audio circuits? Does it let you use the scope in a different/better way than a lower bit scope? I've been using a GDS-1054B but I probably only really use like 5% of its abilities. Anyways, just genuinely curious.

I think I have seen similar looking scopes on AliExpress with much lower pricing, i may be mistaken! I'll be looking again!!

what is the practical advantage of 12 bit when using a scope for audio circuits?

Not a huge practical advantage. The noise floor should be lower, so you might be able to see a small signal superimposed on a larger signal which would be difficult to see with an 8-bit scope, or the noise floor of an FFT of a signal should be lower.
You should be able to live with an 8-bit scope just fine if that is all that fits your budget.

Back