Newbie here (want to build my first microphone)-do you have any tips?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As said I am new to the topic microphones. So do you have any suggestions where I can buy good stuff or what I should buy? Could you recommend any good circuits or what do you think of the OPA1642 circuit from DJJules? Do you know any good websites that explain the basic circuits well. So to say it short: What are the things I should keep an eye on when I want to build a good microphone and where can I purchase this hardware? Thanks in advance

First question that comes to mind is - what experience do you have? What have you already built? Even though microphones are pretty simple circuits, they do require some level of practical experience with electronics IMHO.

First question that comes to mind is - what experience do you have? What have you already built? Even though microphones are pretty simple circuits, they do require some level of practical experience with electronics IMHO.
That should not be a problem. It's just that I do not know the specific names for audio stuff, if you know what I mean, like what what they mean with pad and stuff like that. So if there is a website that explains that I would be very happy ;) Have a good day thanks in advance

As you're outside the USA, you might find the shipping costs for DJJules' kits from JLI a bit expensive?
You might like to take a look at my OPIC mic project instead?...Similar simple mics, based on the OPA164* series Op-amps, with construction either onto stripboard, or PCBs from Europe...... See here: OPIC Impedance Converter
Just click on any of the schematic images, for PDFs versions that include circuit descriptions...

My first mic build was a micparts kit. Their build guides are top notch and give you a ton of practical info specifically pertaining to mic building. And the result is a great mic.

I believe many people here started their journey down the DIY microphone rabbit hole this way.

Last edited:
While my advice varies from the rest, nothing I say is intended to contradict what the others say.

I suggest reading as many articles and other resources as possible before spending your hard earned brass on any parts. There are many types of microphones, made from different components, designed to accomplish a myriad of tasks. Learn all you can about microphones before building one. Do a broad web search and read as many articles you can. Mr. Jules Rykenbush has published several online articles describing his work, and he links to several other sources. Do the homework, and build what you really want later.

I am a long time radio enthusiast and have built all sorts of radio and audio accessory kits over the past 40 years. Nevertheless, I actually learned very little from building kits. The instructions merely say where to place parts on the circuit board - they rarely explain what each part does along they way. While a few instruction guides provide a general explanation of the kit's theory of operation, they rarely explain what each component does. Moreover, kits are usually more expensive than buying parts separately - after all the kit seller has to make money.

While I appreciate you want to get going right away, I assure you this is the best approach. You will know what you want, and why, and you will only buy parts that suit your objective. I intend no offense or criticism of any other comment. I merely suggest you will learn more, and end up with a better, more appropriate result this way.

You did not really answer Mr. Elsmurph's question about your level of electronics experience. I also ask: What do you want to accomplish? Do you want a microphone for live performance or recording? What sounds do you want to capture? Will you be signing or talking or playing an instrument? What venue? Small acoustically untreated room or larger treated room or some sort of live venue - or outdoors? All of these factors affect what type of microphone you should build.

Again, I am not being critical. I am sincerely convinced you should learn about microphones first, and build something that suits the intended task latler, when you know what you need. This research will pay dividends in the long term.

Search the archived messages on this form and another called "micbuilders." Search AliExpress and eBay.com for descriptions and prices of parts. Sear the web for articles on mic building projects.

Th is is, of course, JUST MY take. You be the judge! Good luck - it is a proworthy enterprise. James - K8JHR

While my advice varies from the rest, nothing I say is intended to contradict what the others say.

I suggest reading as many articles and other resources as possible before spending your hard earned brass on any parts. There are many types of microphones, made from different components, designed to accomplish a myriad of tasks. Learn all you can about microphones before building one. Do a broad web search and read as many articles you can. Mr. Jules Rykenbush has published several online articles describing his work, and he links to several other sources. Do the homework, and build what you really want later.

I am a long time radio enthusiast and have built all sorts of radio and audio accessory kits over the past 40 years. Nevertheless, I actually learned very little from building kits. The instructions merely say where to place parts on the circuit board - they rarely explain what each part does along they way. While a few instruction guides provide a general explanation of the kit's theory of operation, they rarely explain what each component does. Moreover, kits are usually more expensive than buying parts separately - after all the kit seller has to make money.

While I appreciate you want to get going right away, I assure you this is the best approach. You will know what you want, and why, and you will only buy parts that suit your objective. I intend no offense or criticism of any other comment. I merely suggest you will learn more, and end up with a better, more appropriate result this way.

You did not really answer Mr. Elsmurph's question about your level of electronics experience. I also ask: What do you want to accomplish? Do you want a microphone for live performance or recording? What sounds do you want to capture? Will you be signing or talking or playing an instrument? What venue? Small acoustically untreated room or larger treated room or some sort of live venue - or outdoors? All of these factors affect what type of microphone you should build.

Again, I am not being critical. I am sincerely convinced you should learn about microphones first, and build something that suits the intended task latler, when you know what you need. This research will pay dividends in the long term.

Search the archived messages on this form and another called "micbuilders." Search AliExpress and eBay.com for descriptions and prices of parts. Sear the web for articles on mic building projects.

Th is is, of course, JUST MY take. You be the judge! Good luck - it is a proworthy enterprise. James - K8JHR
So yeah first of all thanks to all for your efforts to help me, I am very grateful for that. (Sry I could not answer ealier, I was busy) Secondly I never intended to build a microphone kit, because I really want to unterstand the circuit. I think DJJules circuit is one of the most well explained circuit (atleast what I have seen). So yeah about not wasting money, with this project I want to build something like a solid base. A circuit that is not to complicated, is decent and works. And when I fully understand that I can look at more advanced circuit. So in short form: I want to build a microphone that is not to complicated and from that base I want to upgrade to more advanced stuff. Because I cannot understand the advanced circuit if I do not even understand the basic ones. I hope you get where I am coming from. About my experience with electronics I have already soldered, calculated values and also designed some circuit's in kicad. What I have not done is designing my own circuit, so from ground up. About that I know some people that are really good with electronics that could help me with that, so yeah it should not be a problem. About what I want to capture just normal vocals, so yeah just a mic for discord :). About that I should not waste my money on parts that I do not need, what do you mean with that? Do you mean that the parts I could buy, could produce to much noise (actually I have already bought parts, so :/). About reading articles could recommend some to me? About that DJJules have released several online articled describing his work, where can I find them? About the circuit, I have already said that I have some parts here, so I want to ask if they are a go or a no-go? For the hex inverter I have some polyester condensors: https://www.amazon.de/Polypropylen-Kondensatoren-Folienkondensatoren-Metallisierte-Sortimentskit/dp/B0C3VCM9TS/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=2YOY0KIF5A7B&keywords=Folienkondensatoren+1nF&qid=1697051469&sprefix=folienkondensatoren+1nf,aps,118&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

So yeah is there any other thing I should keep an eye on like what resistors I should buy, so they do not produce too much noise?
P.S.: Like MicMaven I also do not attend to critize or offend somebody.
Ohh and thanks for all your efforts and comments :)

Best regards

I agree with @MicMaven - I learned very little about the electronic workings of a microphone by building my first mic from a kit. My next two mics were built from a PCB and I didn't learn all that much either, apart from what I had to figure out to troubleshoot my builds.

What I did learn from building the mic from a kit is the mechanical side of mic building - a microphone is more than a circuit with a capsule on one end and a connector on the other crammed in a metal tube - and at the same time, even the most expensive mics share many construction principles with cheap DIY kit mics. My point being, whether you start from the electronics side and want to understand how mic circuits work, or you start from the mechanical side and want to understand how mics are built, either way you'll have a lot to learn. And you're gonna have a lot of fun, no matter which entry point you choose.

A good place to start to learn about components for mics is to check the BOMs of the projects that are available here. If for example you go to Dany/poctop's website you will see links to the BOMs and build threads for each of his PCBs.

Latest posts

Back