official GDIY51PSU Help & Support Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
don't have a name for that case.

the first design was done for Diotec

later I ordered the much cheaper one:
Datasheet
just to recognize they are physically larger (while the pinning is the same).
you all have rev02 PSU PCBs, both versions fit.

Using higher current rating does not hurt.  They don't particularly cost much. Besides, you have 10,000uF reservoir cap there to charge. And on initial charge it puts a lot of stress to the rectifiers and having some headroom is a good practice.

Cemal, I hope it is ok posting your great mounting idea 8)
gdiy_psu_05.jpg

gdiy_psu_12.jpg

gdiy_psu_24.jpg

As long as it's for a to-220, and fits in a 2u chassis, and has the pcb posts 1 inch (24.5mm) apart, you're golden.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=HS346-ND

I love cemal's heatsink idea...but I want to point this out for those who may over look it...THERE HAS TO BE AN INSULATOR BETWEEN YOUR REGS AND THE HEATSINK/CHASSIS!!!

Ptownkid said:
As long as it's for a to-220, and fits in a 2u chassis, and has the pcb posts 1 inch (24.5mm) apart, you're golden.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=HS346-ND

Thanks !

[silent:arts] said:
Cemal, I hope it is ok posting your great mounting idea 8)

Volker, of course no problem.

I have just used whatever that was lying about at the workshop. I used an L section steel profile and got it plated but the actual production is going to be aluminium profile.

Finned heatsink is the same. I had a big chunk that came from a power amp. I split in two. I have another one. For production I'll order soemthing already cut to size.

Even the heatsink for the phantom reg is from my junk box. Over the years I parted out loads of switching PSUs which are great resources for heatsinks.

I will be ordering the profiles next week and hopefully I'll run a batch of 50 in a week to ten days.

Good point from Ptownkid regarding the insulators for the regulators. I have used silicon sheet type for the prototype, but if you use mica make sure you have heat transfer compound applied.

To take the photographs I just stuck it into a 2U case that came from a power amp. There were screws at the bottom and that is why the module looks standing up. But in reality there are four M3 taps at the bottom for mounting for flush mounting. Same on the side where the regulators are mounted. Obviously if you apply some heat transfer compound between the bracket and the case further heat dissipation into the case is also achieved. But using a finned heatsink is a neater application, though at an additional cost.

Back