Original AKG C12a mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These were his typical u87 mods, where he basically removed de-emphasis. In the analog age extra high end was appreciated and not associated with harshness. This led Røde and many chinese manufacturers to manufacture k67 based mics with reduced of even removed de-emphasis. But somehow that became the "China" sound, or harshness... If it's Klaus' or C800 it's extra detail.

It certainly didn't bring it towards u67, as u67 has even more LF and HF roll-off. He brought it more towards C800-g territory.
Reminds me of people praising how the Manley Reference C sounds despite it being noticeably brighter than a lot of Chinese mics, because in their mind it's "clean and transparent" sounding, but cheaper stuff that sounds like that or has a more subtle but still noticable treble emphasis is "harsh" or "grainy". There's similar defending of TLM 103 and Sennheiser MKH 416, MKH 40, and MKH 50 because they sound "mix ready" (didn't realize I needed to add a 3-4 dB high shelf), though they also get a fair bit of flak too for the unnatural boost. I'm speaking from a studio perspective of course. I don't necessarily hate any of those mics, I'm actually very fond of quite bright CAD M179s.

I actually really like the Sennheiser ME64 for the price too, I think Sennheiser killed it with that steep built in low cut. I like the entire K6 system, it's a shame they discontinued them and the other capsules weren't more popular, people are asking almost what they went for new now, the only cheap ones are the ME66 on the K6 battery powered module.

I always find it funny because if there's one group of people I'd expect to be fine with anything that sounds good and works well, it'd be the audio crowd.

Last edited:
It certainly didn't bring it towards u67, as u67 has even more LF and HF roll-off. He brought it more towards C800-g territory.
And you know this because you’ve had the pleasure of working with a Heyne-modded U87 before and after the mod?

Having been the person using these mics, and having used a few U67s, I can confirm that it brought it closer to U67 territory.

It is not simply a question of frequency response There is an immediacy and 3-dimensionality that was gained that has more to do with clarity in the mids. Also, the honkiness of the U87 was subdued. So yes… from my experience, it moved that mic closer to what I have experienced with U67s.

EDIT: it should be added that these U87s are FAR from bright. Most people would say they’re dark mics compared to many.

Reminds me of people praising how the Manley Reference C sounds despite it being noticeably brighter than a lot of Chinese mics, because in their mind it's "clean and transparent" sounding, but cheaper stuff that sounds like that or has a more subtle but still noticable treble emphasis is "harsh" or "grainy". There's similar defending of TLM 103 and Sennheiser MKH 416, MKH 40, and MKH 50 because they sound "mix ready" (didn't realize I needed to add a 3-4 dB high shelf), though they also get a fair bit of flak too for the unnatural boost. I'm speaking from a studio perspective of course. I don't necessarily hate any of those mics, I'm actually very fond of quite bright CAD M179s. I actually really like the Sennheiser ME64 for the price too, I think Sennheiser killed it with that steep built in low cut.

I always find it funny because if there's one group of people I'd expect to be fine with anything that sounds good and works well, it'd be the audio crowd.
I tend to dislike bright mics, but the CAD M179s were being used regularly as tom mics at a studio I joined for a couple of years. As a result, they became my go to tom mics during that time and were amazing.

And you know this because you’ve had the pleasure of working with a Heyne-modded U87 before and after the mod?

Having been the person using these mics, and having used a few U67s, I can confirm that it brought it closer to U67 territory.

It is not simply a question of frequency response There is an immediacy and 3-dimensionality that was gained that has more to do with clarity in the mids. Also, the honkiness of the U87 was subdued. So yes… from my experience, it moved that mic closer to what I have experienced with U67s.

EDIT: it should be added that these U87s are FAR from bright. Most people would say they’re dark mics compared to many.
In that case what you stated about mods performed isn't accurate. And yes, i've had quite a few encounters with mics moded by him. Fortunately i have the measurements of all the aspects including frequency responses so i know exactly what is going on. In any case i'm glad you are satisfied with the results and what you got for the money.

I can't say anything regarding 3D component of u67 vs u87 as we don't seem to use the same terminology. What i can say is that there's no technical aspect that could explain the diference you are hearing.

Last edited:
I tend to dislike bright mics, but the CAD M179s were being used regularly as tom mics at a studio I joined for a couple of years. As a result, they became my go to tom mics during that time and were amazing.
They are great for that, and good ob just about anything you throw them on. I guess that's why they're the poor man's C414.

Latest posts

Back