Passive signal combining or A/B switching?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hageir

I'm wiring up my recording studio; synths, instruments and a 16 channel Tamura Recording console.
It only has 1 XLR input per channel (actually it has a hardwired B-Gauge patchbay for the inserts for the 16 channels and 4 groups and I do believe they are balanced too; might be a way to return the playback there?).

To put it short;
I've found some insane broadcast A/B audio switcher with sufficient amount of inputs and outputs,
but this is my newest idea:
I know it's unorthodox, but is it possible to combine two signals, passively at the patchbay (I have a spare TT Patchbay for this)
for A: the synth outputs (balanced with various equipment and D.I. boxes) AND B: the balanced outputs of my D/As?
Because the playback wouldn't be used all the time (I would only use either one at a time...)

Super short version:
16 balanced outputs from synths and drum machines.
16 balanced "playback" outputs from D/A.
Only 16 balanced inputs on recording console....
Switching between? Combining?

-G

I'm wiring up my recording studio; synths, instruments and a 16 channel Tamura Recording console.
It only has 1 XLR input per channel (actually it has a hardwired B-Gauge patchbay for the inserts for the 16 channels and 4 groups and I do believe they are balanced too; might be a way to return the playback there?).

To put it short;
I've found some insane broadcast A/B audio switcher with sufficient amount of inputs and outputs,
but this is my newest idea:
I know it's unorthodox, but is it possible to combine two signals, passively at the patchbay (I have a spare TT Patchbay for this)
for A: the synth outputs (balanced with various equipment and D.I. boxes) AND B: the balanced outputs of my D/As?
Because the playback wouldn't be used all the time (I would only use either one at a time...)

Super short version:
16 balanced outputs from synths and drum machines.
16 balanced "playback" outputs from D/A.
Only 16 balanced inputs on recording console....
Switching between? Combining?

-G
If possible I would go with the switcher. I am not a big fan of passive summing, even less if that implies hard-wiring a patchbay for it. Secondly, passive summing does not isolate the inputs, so your synths will drive the outputs of the DA and vice versa. This might be acceptable, but why include more noise sources into the picture? Also, remember that passive summing attenuates the signal level, again, why lower the SNR for no good reason?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back