• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Power cable for early Dolby 361 (Wurlitzer-type power plug)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pvision

Wanted: one (or more) power cables for early Dolby 361s. These use a three-pin connector with round pins.

The connector was used on some Wurlitzers, I believe, but I don't think anything sold in the UK ever used it - apart from 361s

I have converted my Dolby units to use standard IEC mains inlet connectors - this was not easy - as the rear panel is quite thick steel.

I do have the detachable mains cables (2) - of the type you want - I will search the workshop tomorrow and let you know!

Attachments

• Dolby rear panel.jpg
    Dolby rear panel.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 0
Wanted: one (or more) power cables for early Dolby 361s. These use a three-pin connector with round pins.

The connector was used on some Wurlitzers, I believe, but I don't think anything sold in the UK ever used it - apart from 361s
That female end of the cable is named a PH-163 connector. Older HP computer stuff used it, too. I bought one on eBay. Some are opposite polarity, which is an easy fix by replacing the male end.

These may be (relatively) common in the USA but I would say they are unknown in the UK

I have converted a couple to IEC connectors but Dolby made these things out of thick steel and it's a tough job filing out the hole!

dolby-361-old-style-power-socket.jpeg

I have found one cable, in my 'connect anything to anything' box - but want to keep it. Apologies for this!

The plastic moulded female cable connector was made by Belden - if you find one on an auction site, it will be expensive I expect.

So the best course of action is to spend some time drilling and filing to fit an IEC mains inlet - and then you are future proof.

Back