Pultec Reissue

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still see two main things with Pultec:

1) The curves and their implementation (design)

2) Tube and Transformer/inductor (regardless of brand!) - meaning a fairly distinct sonic difference from **most TL/chip modern designs. And nothing is remotely being implied  that one is better or worse than the other - just sonically distinct.

**not counting boxes designed to simulate  tube and transformer

. . . . .if you were an engineer who had used original Pultecs on hundreds of sessions and you knew the sound like the back of your hand - AND - it was something you could honestly say you had to have to get a certain result (meaning 100% that you had tried other things including clones and they fell short of the mark) - then, ok, having the exact iron set may be worth the expense.

To worry about, or to even seek an A/B listening test without having the above conditions satisfied would seem to be . . . . . . . .I don't get why one should even care outside of the practical issue of whether you like the clone for itself or not. 

Also wanted to point out that I've never heard any discussion whatsoever re differences between the all Peerless Pultecs and the more common "Triad" Pultecs (except OT).  Apparently not important enough to discuss.

" not knowing any better " I was plenty happy with  a Tube Tech version  I owned
the  s.s. ones do seem  " drier " and less satisfying to me, but not all tube copies sound
compelling enough for me to want to use them either . [ again I've never used a real one ]

Good point ,  how many people don't really want a Pultec and don't bother with the software

can you splain to me... why the photo below shows side by side xlr's and the photo in sweet water shows those xlrs vertically arranged.  IEC socket is different too.  Are we looking at two different clones here, or did the clone change?

I can not Esplain you. I don't work for warm but that be what they had at their booth.

If you ask me the sound of the pultecs, the heart of it all is the iron and inductor. You don't get that right, then it ain't no pultec. Not to say it's not a good sound or works but if you truly are billing it as a pultec, then better have it together. 

Latest posts

Back