Racking Pres - Need Output Transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siegfried Meier

Hey all!

I have a few random console pres to rack - in this case, a few Mitsubishi Westar plugin pres. These are balanced on the inputs, so I just need to find a way to balance the outs. I've done some others, like the Sony MXP3000 racks I've made with electronically balanced PCB's but I was wondering about a transformer that would work in these situations.

Would a Carnhill VTB1148 be possible as an output transformer? I've used lots in my Neve builds, but I'm certain there might be some frequency loss or other odd behaviour because of the preamp circuit...but perhaps not? If it wouldn't work, is there a transformer recommended in these situations, or is just best to stick with balancing boards for this task?

Any help much appreciated!
Thanks,
Sig

Why do I keep thinking a 1:1 transformer would work fine here and wouldn’t need to be driven?
Good question, maybe we didn't know better when SSM2015 THAT replacement preamp IC's came out, or Edcor started selling cheap models that fit already built balanced line driver?
SSM2015 datasheet states 2k oh load minimum for +-12Vout, i calculated 12mA out but don't understand this part in datasheet:
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/obsolete-data-sheets/ssm2015.pdfIt is early morning here, in the afternoon i'm hoping to find a forum where schematic came (post #15):
https://groupdiy.com/threads/simple-cheap-solution-for-driving-a-transformer.27426/Siegfried Meier; we were using Edcor WSM a lot, also API out, Cinemag, can't remember Carnhill from that time.

referring to above schematic: As Ian said: why not just impedance balance it - take a 22R resistor and a 100uF lytic in series, connect to ground, and call this inverting out or cold (XLR Pin3)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back