rainton's P2P LA2A chassis "original style" discussion thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have pretty much nothing as far as the bits and pieces except for the meters and lamp holders. Too many other projects in line first, and work being so busy this time of year, I probably won't be able to start until closer to Christmas!

Watching everyone else build theirs is going to be agony!

hymentoptera said:
I have pretty much nothing as far as the bits and pieces except for the meters and lamp holders. Too many other projects in line first, and work being so busy this time of year, I probably won't be able to start until closer to Christmas!

Watching everyone else build theirs is going to be agony!

you aren't the only one. my reason is simply the money..

Alright guys,

now that the forum is back up, some short updates.
The panels are still at the silk-screener's - I'm waiting for the test print on one of the erroneous panels - it should be here this week.
After double checking if the print is fine I'll approve the new panels to be printed.
But I won't call the printer before the end of the week, because last time I was calling last week they asked me to not call them so many times - they will let me know when they have news  - oops...annoying customer haha! ;D

Anyway some other news, the meters are here since last week and indeed they look very nice. One thing though I realized if you want to go for the authentic looks a 100%:

The bezel of the old Beede meter used in the vintage unit had a glossy dark grey finish. The bezels of these replacement meters are not painted at all - they are black plastic.
So just in case you want to go the extra mile, you'd want to (spray?)paint the bezels with a glossy dark grey paint.
It's just a tiny detail, but since I have the original Beede meter in my existing LA2A I could compare the replacement meters, so thought I let you know.
If you don't care because the meter looks great anyway, leave it as it is ;)

One more thing. I read earlier in the thread, that the only good source so far for the lamp holders is that guy on eBay that wants to have 10$ for one single lamp holder.

While acquiring parts for my upcoming Pultec project, I found a bunch of them for half the price at a surplus store.
I have ten of them and I would want to keep 2 for myself for future projects, but if some of you are interested I'd make the remaining 8 lamp holders available for 5 Euros each incl. Paypal. Just let me know and I'll add them to your package :)

Hi Martin,

I'd love some lamp holders. Two would be ideal. Happy to pay more to acquire them.

cheers

James Englund

Ok guys,

Just send 5€ for each lampholder to my paypal account and I'll make a note.

So far received payment from:
Le Roux 1x
shaker 2x
lolo-m 2x
Weiss 1x
ravachol 1x

Next ones on the list are:
remsouille 1x

Would love to see a comparison photo of the original Beede meter next to the new Sifam, to compare the colors.

I would like to try to spray mine the correct color. Maybe I can do some test sprays on the back somewhere not visible, and try to scratch them after cured, until I find a combination of primer and paint than is both durable and close to the correct color.

When you get the chance, rainton, a side-by-side photo would be really helpful :)

All lamp holders gone!

I haven't received the test panel yet, so I will call the silk screener on Monday to see what's going on.
I'll be on the road as off Monday until Friday, so if the test panel won't arrive before Monday around noon, I will only be able to confirm the quality of the print on Friday. Anyway I'd rather do it right this time instead of wasting another 30 panels in case the quality of the print is not as expected ;)
For those of you who haven't joined Quayhog's  Facebook Group yet, I would highly recommend it - there's quite some extra information available by now...

Hi Martin! ( and fellow builders)

Transferred some extra money for the frontpanel today! ( was a bit late, sorry about ! ) Could you send me a invite for the facebook group via e-mail martin? And does somebody have a good  tip about the original looking VU meters( where I can buy them), since I mist the group buy!

Let me know!

Jasper

See my post on page four of this project thread.  It's where I bought mine.
When it came it even had the correct logo on it.  It's the Sifam.
My page 4 note has an email address from Jason, the guy at sales I bought it from. 

I finally received the test panel from the silk-screener today.

To be honest I'm not happy. I mean the actual print came out pretty nice.

But it's not 100% horizontal!
Also there's some slight residues that make it visible where the silk-screen ended  :mad:

I don't get it. They are a big company doing all kinds of signs and advertisement prints...they should know what they're doing.

I will give them a call on Monday and have a serious conversation with their boss...

Even though this sucks big time after waiting over two weeks now I'm so glad I had them print a test panel first!!  :eek:

P.S. don't worry about the hole for the Gain pot - I had them do the test print on one of the erroneous panels - just in case you missed that ;)

Because  Frank's is specialized in engraving and CNCing - the company I ordered from is specialized in screen-printing -
also large format and all that:

http://www.bedruckungen.de

They appear to have a lot of experience and claim to be very qualified in what they do... ???

Latest posts

Back